Railroad Forums 

• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1433624  by JeffersonLeeEng

Power issues plaguing Regional Rail lines
Updated: JUNE 2, 2017 — 9:49 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... 70602.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Power problems are plaguing SEPTA’s Regional Rail lines during the Friday morning commute.

Riders are facing delays of up to an hour and a half on all lines, the transit agency said.

The delays are due to power issues at the Fern Rock Transportation Center.
 #1433711  by rdgrailfan

Friday was compounded with the gates and traffic lights going out at 611 crossing at Willow Grove at about 6PM. Traffic was an incredible mess for over an hour, steady stream of trains made it worse.
 #1434800  by scotty269

R5Dailyrider wrote:SEPTA has a very poor OTP given the constant signal and wire problems. Where is the GM and why does he hide from the public?
He doesn't. He's actually pretty visible when appropriate. Are you mad that he's not having a press conference for every delay SEPTA has greater than 15 minutes? They do have a PR/Communications department...
 #1435425  by NorthPennLimited

East Penn Railroad derailed 3 cars of a 23 car train at Sellersville on the Bethlehem Line. The first 3 cars were hauling butter, the rest were hauling propane tank cars. None of the propane cars are reported to have derailed.

SEPTA will be bussing westbound trains 325, 385, and 389 from Sellersville to Bethlehem for the evening rush hour.
 #1435467  by R3 Passenger

NorthPennLimited wrote:SEPTA will be bussing westbound trains 325, 385, and 389 from Sellersville to Bethlehem for the evening rush hour.
Wait, what did you just say?
 #1435493  by mcgrath618

NorthPennLimited wrote:East Penn Railroad derailed 3 cars of a 23 car train at Sellersville on the Bethlehem Line. The first 3 cars were hauling butter, the rest were hauling propane tank cars. None of the propane cars are reported to have derailed.

SEPTA will be bussing westbound trains 325, 385, and 389 from Sellersville to Bethlehem for the evening rush hour.
I got really excited for a second and was like "SEPTA IS BACK IN BETHLEHEM?!?!?!?!?" but alas...
 #1435503  by NorthPennLimited

Sorry, I forgot to insert the "sarcasm" emoji. The derailment at Sellersville had no impact on SEPTA.

East Penn Railway operates on the Bethlehem Line towards Quakertown from the Division Post at Telford under a lease agreement for the ROW and trackage rights from SEPTA. There is hardly any loose carload business left on the northern part of the line (which is why Conrail gave up their trackage rights with SEPTA). The primary revenue stream of the East Penn operations is storing cars on the former inbound main from Quakertown to Telford including tank cars of propane.

Propane is a by-product of crude oil distillation and has little or no value in the summer time. The propane is loaded into tank cars, and stored on the Bethlehem Line by East Penn until winter arrives and there is a demand for propane.
 #1435651  by AlexC

http://www.thereporteronline.com/genera ... -pennbrook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lansdale police Sgt. Dean Miller said at the scene that the man had just arrived at Pennbrook station on a northbound SEPTA train. He had left that train and was crossing the rail tracks toward the opposite side of the station when he was hit at around 4:52 p.m.

“He was leaving the station, and walking south along Church Road, and as he’s crossing, he’s struck by the train leaving Lansdale, headed to North Wales,” Miller said.

The man was knocked to the ground alongside the rails, and fire and rescue companies were called to help extricate him, according to Miller. The man suffered facial and abdominal injuries and possible fractures, and was taken by PennStar medical helicopter to Penn Presbyterian Hospital around 5:15 p.m.
 #1437698  by MACTRAXX

Wednesday July 12, 2017 RRD PM Rush Hour problems...

http://www.septa.org/service/rail/2017- ... ssage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today 7/13 it is extreme heat that could lead to more service woes...

MACTRAXX
 #1446932  by AlexC

SEPTA service currently SUSPENDED due to a struck pedestrian near Norwood, Pa
 #1447763  by glennk419

Trespasser stuck north of Fern Rock TC. Currently no service on Lansdale/Doylestown, Warminster and West Trenton lines north of Fern Rock.
 #1447868  by MACTRAXX

Glenn(and Everyone:) 10/20

Where did yesterday's fatal accident occur? The reason I ask is that a report posted at Philly.com
mentioned that the person was struck TWO MILES north of Fern Rock which would be between
Elkins Park and Melrose Park. A 6abc video showed a train stopped in that stretch of track near
the overhead pedestrian bridge. If it was indeed there why was it written as Fern Rock when it
was not nearby? The first thing I thought that it was someone illegally crossing the tracks at the
north end of FRTC from the adjacent neighborhood to the east. Which Warminster train was this?

Last night was Philadelphia Chapter-NRHS monthly meeting at the Elkins Park Station at 7:00pm.
The program was going to be about railroads in the Lehigh Valley and originally I planned to attend
but could not for personal reasons. Some members do take Regional Rail there - it is one of the
best features of this meeting location - how bad were delays during the PM rush yesterday and
were things back to some semblance of normal after 6:00pm when I would have gone there?

MACTRAXX
 #1447875  by glennk419

MACTRAXX wrote:Glenn(and Everyone:) 10/20

Where did yesterday's fatal accident occur? The reason I ask is that a report posted at Philly.com
mentioned that the person was struck TWO MILES north of Fern Rock which would be between
Elkins Park and Melrose Park. A 6abc video showed a train stopped in that stretch of track near
the overhead pedestrian bridge. If it was indeed there why was it written as Fern Rock when it
was not nearby? The first thing I thought that it was someone illegally crossing the tracks at the
north end of FRTC from the adjacent neighborhood to the east. Which Warminster train was this?

Last night was Philadelphia Chapter-NRHS monthly meeting at the Elkins Park Station at 7:00pm.
The program was going to be about railroads in the Lehigh Valley and originally I planned to attend
but could not for personal reasons. Some members do take Regional Rail there - it is one of the
best features of this meeting location - how bad were delays during the PM rush yesterday and
were things back to some semblance of normal after 6:00pm when I would have gone there?

MACTRAXX

Broadcast news said "north" of Fern Rock and that all service was terminating there which makes sense since there's nowhere else to turn trains until Jenkintown. I too assumed that the strike was between the TC and the old Fern Rock station as there is constant trespassing in that area. If the incident was closer to Melrose, I suppose stopping distance would have taken the train to point you saw. I heard trains running again on the Warminster branch around 5:30.
 #1447880  by R3 Passenger

There is another one at Jenkintown this afternoon. Delays on Lansdale/Doylestown, Warminster, and West Trenton lines again.