Railroad Forums 

• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#555017  by BuddSilverliner269

Hello all. Every few days, I notice people are always posting how trainview is screwed up or a late train, so instead of starting new threads, hows about every extraordinary delay one may come across, just post it in this thread and if someone has an answer then just post it here.
 #559316  by scotty269

7/23

Due to Amtrak power problems, service is suspended on the R1 Airport ,R5 Thorndale, R7 Trenton, R8 Chestnut Hill West and R6 Cynwyd

During the rush hour, awesome.
 #559324  by c152atn67

TheOneCalledA1 wrote:7/23

Due to Amtrak power problems, service is suspended on the R1 Airport ,R5 Thorndale, R7 Trenton, R8 Chestnut Hill West and R6 Cynwyd

During the rush hour, awesome.
They took out the airport line, which makes sense given it runs on the same lines as the R2 and R3, which aren't affected.
 #565139  by scotty269

R1 AIRPORT AND R2 MARCUS HOOK-WILMINGTON SERVICE SUSPENDED DUE TO AMTRAK POWER PROBLEMS. PLEASE SEEK ALTERNATE MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION.
 #565177  by khecht

I'm not home yet thanks to this. Tried to take 265 (6:33 R2 Wilmington from Suburban), it annulled at 30th, we were then told to board Amtrak Regional 193. Another Regional broke down next to us in 30th, and we spent 50 min pulling out, reversing, and picking him up and we're finally underway. With luck I'll be in Claymont by 9 (once figuring out how to get from Wilmington to Claymont). Nice way to end the week.
 #566625  by dht

There seem to be an inordinate number of dark signals on the mainline around Temple U. (maybe south too?), which are causing a lot of stop-and-proceeds. I've noticed at least 3 signals in the area that had a dark green aspect on the top head (TK 4 SB north of Temple, TK 4 SB south of Temple and TK 1 NB north of Temple). I suppose if these are all the newer LED clusters then they will have to de-energize the centenary to replace them. Why so many in one place? Or is it just a coincidence?

-Drew
 #566949  by scotty269

R6 NOR LINE: SERVICE IS SUSPENDED DUE TO A FIRE AT CONSHOHOCKEN STATION. PASSENGERS ARE ADVISED TO SEEK AN ALTERNATE MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION. PLEASE LISTEN FOR STATION ANNOUNCEMENTS.

update:

R6 NOR LINE: SERVICE IS SUSPENDED NORTH OF MIQUON STATION. ALL SERVICE WILL TERMINATE AT MIQUON. PASSENGERS DESTINED NORTH OF MIQUON STATION SHOULD SEEK LATERNATE MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION FROM CC. PLEASE LISTEN FOR STATION ANNOUNCEMENTS.
 #566977  by rider65

Yes the R6 is a mess. Huge 6 alarm fire at an apartment complex next to Conshohocken station. My brother just called me asking for travel assistance. Three R6 trains are sitting there. They have pulled all buses off of the 97 to act as shuttle buses. Of course the Eldorados don't hold many people.

The trains have the crossing gates activated so some fire trucks got stuck trying to get through.
 #566999  by PARailWiz

I was stuck at Spring Mill as well. That is a massive fire - words don't do it justice.
 #567376  by BuddSilverliner269

limejuice wrote:
dht wrote:There seem to be an inordinate number of dark signals on the mainline around Temple U. (maybe south too?), which are causing a lot of stop-and-proceeds. I've noticed at least 3 signals in the area that had a dark green aspect on the top head (TK 4 SB north of Temple, TK 4 SB south of Temple and TK 1 NB north of Temple). I suppose if these are all the newer LED clusters then they will have to de-energize the centenary to replace them. Why so many in one place? Or is it just a coincidence?

-Drew
Yes, they do need to de-energize the catenary and use a platform truck to replace the LEDs. Naturally this is done at night when no trains are running. They've been out replacing them several nights during the past week. Why they are failing still remains to be seen. My guess would be lightning, but I don't really know for sure. For all the resources needed to replace them, it sure seems like they cost way more to operate than those old-fashioned incandescent bulbs that could be replaced from the catwalk.
It does seem odd that the LED fail at a pretty fast rate. Drew as limejuice mentioned on here months ago the cat power needs to be shut down while the work of replacing them takes place. I use to complain about it all the time to the BLE(the engineers union) when I ran trains and voiced my concern on here, and Limejuice filled us all in on the procedures to get them fix. Sounds like alot of work but I will say, those new LED signals do look pretty especially at night and in bad weather when you can see them really good. Limejuice keep up the great work :-D
 #570174  by R3 Passenger

I just got home, but on the way, there was a large brush fire along the inbound ROW (my guess would be about 100-150 feet along the ROW) at Somerton Station. I don't know if any delays have been announced yet, but the fire department is on the scene. I have noticed for some time that the ROW has had the growing need to be MOW-ed.