Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#684823  by FRN9

korbermeister wrote:
FRN9 wrote:Rather than develop a subway to Staten Island because it is part of New York City, maybe the smarter idea would be to trade it with New Jersey for Jersey City and Hoboken (two places that have a subway direct to Manhattan) in return for NY State taking on a certain amount of NJ debt. If Russia could sell Alaska, then why can't New Jersey sell us two cities that are more similar to New York than New York's Staten Island?
Ummmm no. have you ever been to s.i? s.i. is an overbuilt suburb with terrible transit. we'd rather keep j.c. and hoboken.
Yeah, but there would be a cash incentive as well. Maybe a vote of self determination on the part of each locality. Perhaps an advertising campaign explaining the relative value of their property as part of NYC or part of NJ would help people make the right decision. I mean if a vote of self determination on the part of the local populace is good enough for Kosovo and Kashmir then it should be good enough for the US.
 #684836  by korbermeister

FRN9 wrote:
korbermeister wrote:
FRN9 wrote:Rather than develop a subway to Staten Island because it is part of New York City, maybe the smarter idea would be to trade it with New Jersey for Jersey City and Hoboken (two places that have a subway direct to Manhattan) in return for NY State taking on a certain amount of NJ debt. If Russia could sell Alaska, then why can't New Jersey sell us two cities that are more similar to New York than New York's Staten Island?
Ummmm no. have you ever been to s.i? s.i. is an overbuilt suburb with terrible transit. we'd rather keep j.c. and hoboken.
Yeah, but there would be a cash incentive as well. Maybe a vote of self determination on the part of each locality. Perhaps an advertising campaign explaining the relative value of their property as part of NYC or part of NJ would help people make the right decision. I mean if a vote of self determination on the part of the local populace is good enough for Kosovo and Kashmir then it should be good enough for the US.
the LAST thing we need is descendants of a defeated population, clinging to their god and guns, with bumper stickers on their Hummers that say: "Remember Tottenville!" , as next door 'neighbors' . We've got enough problems as it is with Hoboken Hipsters :]
 #684910  by Kamen Rider

FRN9 wrote:
korbermeister wrote:

OR we could leave well enough alone. transfering territoy between two sides is a complicated matter. representation must be aportioned for example. districts redrawn.
 #684915  by korbermeister

Kamen Rider wrote:
FRN9 wrote:
korbermeister wrote:

OR we could leave well enough alone. transfering territoy between two sides is a complicated matter. representation must be aportioned for example. districts redrawn.
Oooorrrr, we can realize that this convo. is typed in jest 'cause it has about as much chance of happening as a maglev transit line being built down Richmond ave :wink:
 #684958  by Kamen Rider

Or we could stop adding on to a thread that should have been torpedoed months ago.
 #684962  by korbermeister

Kamen Rider wrote:Or we could stop adding on to a thread that should have been torpedoed months ago.
S.I. Gets No Respect! :P
 #685132  by diffusedmind

korbermeister wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:Or we could stop adding on to a thread that should have been torpedoed months ago.
I forget who posted it originally on SubChat, but I liked their description of Staten Island:

"You pay $10 to get there just to see 10,000 guys named Anthony yelling at each other in their Maximas."
 #685151  by korbermeister

diffusedmind wrote:
korbermeister wrote:
I forget who posted it originally on SubChat, but I liked their description of Staten Island:

"You pay $10 to get there just to see 10,000 guys named Anthony yelling at each other in their Maximas."
a.k.a. 'The Jersey Shore w/o the Boardwalk' . :-D but it's all good (except S.I.) :P
 #732539  by amoretto

lol Korber, you're from fuckin New Brunswick, a place noone has ever heard of. Who the hell are you to diss on Staten Island. And for all you people from Brooklyn, let me tell you something. BROOKLYN IS THE SAME FUCKIN SHIT AS STATEN ISLAND.