Railroad Forums 

• Moved , link in original forum

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#536459  by charlie6017

Moderators have the option to leave a shadow link in the original forum.......I always do that so that the original posters can find their threads.

#536572  by GOLDEN-ARM

Charlie hit it right on the head. If I come across a post that has no bearing in the forum it was posted in, I might move it, then send a PM to the author. I tend not to leave a "shadow" myself, as this creates a redundant thread, and if I moved it, it wasn't in the right spot in the first place. These are simple preferences, of the individual mods. I commonly move employment questions from various forums into the Employment Forum, where they are answered, almost immediately. Reading Forum rules, using the search function, and giving a bit of thought to where your querry would be most relevant, would be a great way to keep it from getting moved, in the first place. Just a thought...... :wink:

#536584  by David Benton

Wasn't my thread , wasnt totally irrelevant to the forum , but thanks , i had a play with a old thread , and saw the options avaliable .

#536886  by Mike Roque

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I tend not to leave a "shadow" myself, as this creates a redundant thread, and if I moved it, it wasn't in the right spot in the first place.
Actually, a shadow topic simply points to the same topic in its new location, hence "shadow". It would be pointless otherwise, no?

Shadow topics are good! :)

#536913  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, whenever I move a topic, I always leave a shadow in the original forum it was posted in. It's like a breadcrumb trail. If I go looking for my post in the old forum, the shadow is a link to the new location. Otherwise, how would you know it was moved?

-otto-

#537026  by GOLDEN-ARM

The reason I don't "shadow" a topic, is if I do, it can't be modded, in it's new location. It appears as a post, that can't have a moderator work, in the new forum. If it's moved, without a shadow, it appears as a new post, and the moderator in the "new" forum, has full mod rights on it. We've discussed this before, when topics are moved, and arrive in a format that cannot be modded, in their new locations. I have found this doesn't occur, when you don't leave a shadow. If you guys have some info, relating how to mod a "moved" post, I would enjoy hearing about it. Sometimes a junk thread appears in a forum, and due to it's being "moved", it can't be edited, locked, deleted, etc. Reading through the phpBB info, that Mike forwarded to me as a link, provided no remedy for this, other than moving a post without a shadow. Regards :wink: