Railroad Forums 

• Browns Yard/Coast Line freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#559030  by TBRED

Shark,never mind all that crap,just work your way thru the traffic to the fotomat and get those hack shots you told me about over them cheeseburgers!!The heck with the W.B.,just show up Thursday,give draggy a freebie....YO HO HOOOO!!
 #560535  by Shark

Here it is. You can forget the gas station.
 #560541  by TBRED

NOOOOOO!! Not on my stuuufff!! :(
 #600240  by OCtrainguy

I was up at Browns Yard yesterday. There is a lot of MOW equipment stored up there right now. There were MOW machines just east of the yard, camp cars and other MOW cars in the eastern end of the yard and MOW gondolas just west of the yard. Does anyone know what lines near the yard they are working on?

I also saw NS SD45-2 1705 drilling cars in the yard.
 #600404  by Kaback9

OCtrainguy wrote:I was up at Browns Yard yesterday. There is a lot of MOW equipment stored up there right now. There were MOW machines just east of the yard, camp cars and other MOW cars in the eastern end of the yard and MOW gondolas just west of the yard. Does anyone know what lines near the yard they are working on?

The Dayton line to Monmouth Jct was getting some work done to it.
 #600705  by painterman

There was alot of activity just east of Browns Yard on Wed. night. I was driving home around 5pm and there was a train stopped on the trestle that goes over Bordentown Ave - and a bunch of MOW cars heading towards it. Didn't have my scanner or my camera with me - so I can't tell you what was up.

There is alot of maintenance on the west end too - I have spotted a work train dropping off ties in Helmetta a few weeks ago - but this seemed more like they had wheels on the ground on wed. night.

I was going to post something about it but I've been sick with the flu.
 #600727  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

OCtrainguy wrote:I was up at Browns Yard yesterday. There is a lot of MOW equipment stored up there right now. There were MOW machines just east of the yard, camp cars and other MOW cars in the eastern end of the yard and MOW gondolas just west of the yard. Does anyone know what lines near the yard they are working on?

They are re-tieing the Dayton Branch and Amboy Secondary. I had heard they were starting with the Dayton but it looks like the opposite is true and they will work south to Jamesburg and west to Midway.
 #600823  by wolfboy8171981

Kaback9 wrote:I still don't understand why their going all the way to Midway since they don't use that portion.
Um yeah we do.

The Dayton NJ area of the Amboy Sec handles 65% of all the busness that comes into Browns Yard. The Amboy has had a 10mph speed restriction from MP14 to Midway for almost 10 years now. The furthest section we use on a regulair basis is mp 18, and thats only one mile to Midway. Just becasue we havent come out at Midway in a few years, doesnt mean that we shouldnt fix the tracks at the same time the entire line is getting some new ties and stone. There have been rumors for a year or so that they want to run the Browns freight into and out of Morrisville.

Also I heard that Wakefern Foods is looking to locate a warehouse in the Dayton/Cranbury area that has rail to compliment there Elizabeth facialty that also may be returning to rail service.
 #600838  by Kaback9

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I still don't understand why their going all the way to Midway since they don't use that portion.
Um yeah we do.

The Dayton NJ area of the Amboy Sec handles 65% of all the busness that comes into Browns Yard. The Amboy has had a 10mph speed restriction from MP14 to Midway for almost 10 years now. The furthest section we use on a regulair basis is mp 18, and thats only one mile to Midway. Just becasue we havent come out at Midway in a few years, doesnt mean that we shouldnt fix the tracks at the same time the entire line is getting some new ties and stone. There have been rumors for a year or so that they want to run the Browns freight into and out of Morrisville.

Also I heard that Wakefern Foods is looking to locate a warehouse in the Dayton/Cranbury area that has rail to compliment there Elizabeth facialty that also may be returning to rail service.

Thanks for the update Wolfboy.
 #600882  by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the information on the MOW work. Here are a few photos from Sunday. First, some track equipment east of the yard: http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1385769

And two photos of NS SD45-2 1705:
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1385770
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1385771

With a Maine Central boxcar:
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1385772
 #612098  by krug138

BTW, here's a link to a whole album full of shots of the MOW equipment working through Helmetta back on November 12:

http://krug138.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... x?id=37567

I have been working a few miles south of Dayton for over 3 years and I've only seen freight roll through twice. I'd love to catch one sometime though since I am in the neighborhood every day - is there any sort of regular schedule for freight operations through Jamesburg and Dayton? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
 #616829  by Kaback9

I didn't know where to put this so this seemed appropriate but NS 5290 is still kicking around the lines out of Browns if anyone has not got shots of her yet, they also turned her around, she used to have long hood when going down the coast or coming back from freehold, now she has the short hood facing that way.