Railroad Forums 

• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1498938  by NorEasterNick

You have to understand history. I absolutely think that. The line makes no money. The whole not having anyone to inspect the equipment line is VERY fishy as FRA (safety folks) were on the job during the shutdown and the shutdown ended the day NJT blamed the shutdown! Why can't SOME service be started back up with just 3 train sets? Very possible they would look at selling it off in the future. This line did NOT have to be shutdown for PTC, it was a sham from the start. The daily freight trains rolling over those rails proved that.
 #1498943  by Dcell

The local politicians will never ever allow the AC rail line to be permanently closed. South Jersey residents already feel that they get very little state services compared to North Jersey and shutting down South Jerseys only passenger train service will send them over the edge. South Jersey politicians have enough power to make passenger service to Glassboro a reality no matter what the per-rider cost turns out to be. South Jersey wants theirs and they want it now!
 #1498956  by JoeBas

lensovet wrote:
JoeBas wrote:
lensovet wrote:but wait everyone on this thread was saying that NJT had evil plans to shut down this line forever
You're starting to look silly. Never seen someone cite "Creeping unspecified delay with no official end in sight" as evidence that something is certain to return before...
you genuinely think they are going to never return this line to service due to their own ill will, as opposed to say not having equipment available because there's no one to inspect it? really?
I genuinely think that it's a possibility that the line does not return, for many reason, yes.

I also genuinely think that anyone who knows, knows, KNOWS what's going to happen, is wasting their time and talents on railroad.net, and instead should be spending their time on schwab.com.

And this is coming from someone who tells the future for a living!
 #1498957  by JoeBas

Dcell wrote:The local politicians will never ever allow the AC rail line to be permanently closed. South Jersey residents already feel that they get very little state services compared to North Jersey and shutting down South Jerseys only passenger train service will send them over the edge. South Jersey politicians have enough power to make passenger service to Glassboro a reality no matter what the per-rider cost turns out to be. South Jersey wants theirs and they want it now!
You have a lot of faith in politicians.
 #1498984  by mcgrath618

You guys are all incredible at being negative.
NJT has said that they will restore service by April. Not in a few years, not eventually, but within a few months. This isn't like, say the SEPTA Ivy Ridge line in the 80s. In that case, SEPTA said that they would restore service "eventually," and then of course didn't follow through all the way.
 #1498990  by kilroy

JoeBas wrote:
Dcell wrote:The local politicians will never ever allow the AC rail line to be permanently closed. South Jersey residents already feel that they get very little state services compared to North Jersey and shutting down South Jerseys only passenger train service will send them over the edge. South Jersey politicians have enough power to make passenger service to Glassboro a reality no matter what the per-rider cost turns out to be. South Jersey wants theirs and they want it now!
You have a lot of faith in politicians.
Two words, Norcross and Sweeney. These are probably the two most powerful men in New Jersey. Both are from south Jersey. As Dcell pointed out, south Jersey feels they don't get their fair share now. If NJT kills the AC line, you can be sure that state funding for NJT would be cut to about $1.35. Not billions, not millions, $1.35.
 #1499064  by JoeBas

kilroy wrote:
Two words, Norcross and Sweeney. These are probably the two most powerful men in New Jersey. Both are from south Jersey. As Dcell pointed out, south Jersey feels they don't get their fair share now. If NJT kills the AC line, you can be sure that state funding for NJT would be cut to about $1.35. Not billions, not millions, $1.35.
I'm originally from South Jersey. I know who Norcross and Sweeney are.

And if you think that the NJT AC Line is ANYTHING more to them than one of the MANY chips they have sitting in front of them at the great poker table of NJ Politics, and wouldn't trade it in a heartbeat for something else that would advance their position one iota, you apparently don't know them as well as I do. ;)
 #1499066  by EuroStar

While nothing is certain until officially announced, it is unlikely that the line will start back up until two more classes of engineers have graduated. Even now we could find enough PTC enabled equipment to run at least some service, but there is nobody to run it unless we go back to the rolling cancellations in the north from a couple of months ago. Those cancellations did not go very well with the riding public up. Also this is very convenient as every month that the AC Line is not running reduces the operating deficit of NJT and the amount of money that needs to be stolen from the capital plan in order to run operations.
 #1499479  by liftedjeep

-Some of the only action the Atlantic City Line is seeing these days!

WPCA-20 headed through Pennsauken. The Delair Bridge is in the background, partially obstructed by the overhead wire supports. This shot was taken from a former bridge abutment that once belonged to the Hatch family, who owned the once surrounding farmland that the railroad bisected when built in 1895.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5088010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
 #1499685  by lensovet

NY&LB wrote:Don’t blame us. Feds say NJ Transit can resume service on suspended rail lines whenever they want.
https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/02/dont ... -want.html
again the equipment and manpower simply isn't there to run the trains. feds are right…can't blame them for lack of staff.
 #1499702  by EuroStar

lensovet wrote:again the equipment and manpower simply isn't there to run the trains. feds are right…can't blame them for lack of staff.
NJT is still not done with the PTC installs on all engines. I still see Geeps and PLs sadwiched behind cab cars. I have not seen a 45 or 46 sandwiched behind a cab car for a while, but that does not mean that all of those are complete either.
The lack of engineers is severe and is not going to be resolved for a long time. In spite of the great fanfare last year about having thousands of applicants for engineers, none of the recruits are going to be ready to run a train before close to the end of the year.
 #1499703  by JoeBas

EuroStar wrote:
lensovet wrote:again the equipment and manpower simply isn't there to run the trains. feds are right…can't blame them for lack of staff.
NJT is still not done with the PTC installs on all engines. I still see Geeps and PLs sadwiched behind cab cars. I have not seen a 45 or 46 sandwiched behind a cab car for a while, but that does not mean that all of those are complete either.
The lack of engineers is severe and is not going to be resolved for a long time. In spite of the great fanfare last year about having thousands of applicants for engineers, none of the recruits are going to be ready to run a train before close to the end of the year.
By which time a years worth of "Cost Savings" will be in the bank, a year will have passed without steel wheels on steel rail, and whatever commuter base that existed will be so thoroughly disgusted with the delays on the "temporary" Bus Bridge that any restart would have to be from near zero.