• American Flyer HO Coupler History

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ottsm

I've always used AF S gauge products but recently I've gotten hooked on AF HO gauge equipment. I am having problems trying to figure out what couplers are suppose to be on my engines, etc.;

I have two older 5318 Hudson's; one has what appears to be the original coupler, it's metal and a simple hook that must be manually uncoupled. The other has a Mantua style coupler but it's broken and needs replaced/repaired.

I also have a 446 Hudson from around 1957. The coupler is broken but may have been a x2F coupler, is this the correct coupler, or would it have been different?

I only have collected 3 cars so far that all have the old manual coulplers that the one 5318 has.

I'm getting other cars but they all appear to have the X2F couplers, are these originals for the late 50 American Flyers, or are all these replacements.

I'm kind of in to original equipment, however, if I need to replace/repair coupling, what options are available?

by RS112556

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintageHO/?yguid=97350453. It's a forum dealing with vintage HO trains and someone here may be able to give you an answer on these couplers.
JM
  by Gilberthotrains.com

Gilbert used two distict coupler styles on thier trains. The prewar 38-41 and early postwar 48-51 all used a similar diecast hook coupler. When they resumed HO production in 1955, they adopted the NMRA xf-2 couplers...

Reproductions are being made of the prewar couplers.
New old stock original xf-2 couplers are available on my site along with the covers and pins...

http://www.gilberthotrains.com
  by pennsy

Some time ago, I was able to purchase at a swap meet some AF HO gauge freight cars. They matched the horn hook NMRA couplers that I used on my layout, and the price was right. Excellent cars, track well and I ballasted them to weigh at least four ounces each, per NMRA recommendations. Your engines should, by the same logic, weigh in at at least one pound each.

By the way, I also found and bought a Lionel HO gauge whistling tender the same way. It also runs quite well, and I have it running behind a Bachmann Pacific.