Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1489281  by njtmnrrbuff

On the Hudson Line, it would be nice to make a new train station, primarily to serve as a park 'n' ride lot within the shadows of the Bear Mountain Bridge providing more service and replacing the current Manitou. This would be good for somebody who lives not just in Upper Cortlandt but for those people who live in Orange County along Rt. 17, this station might help them since 17 connects to Rt. 6 which goes across the Bear Mountain Bridge.

The four proposed stations in the E. Bronx on the Hellgate Line are very important but unfortunately, Penn Station is above capacity right now. When the LIRR Eastside Access opens up and other improvements at Penn Station are done, then we can look forward to this project.
 #1489396  by Ridgefielder

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:On the Hudson Line, it would be nice to make a new train station, primarily to serve as a park 'n' ride lot within the shadows of the Bear Mountain Bridge providing more service and replacing the current Manitou. This would be good for somebody who lives not just in Upper Cortlandt but for those people who live in Orange County along Rt. 17, this station might help them since 17 connects to Rt. 6 which goes across the Bear Mountain Bridge.
That's not physically possible. The road over the bridge ends at what's essentially a T-junction with a sheer rock face dead ahead. US202/6 & NY9D are about 400' above the level of the tracks at that point, which are in a tunnel. You can see what I mean here: https://goo.gl/maps/SsXHCBjzhVy. Manitou is really the closest practical station location. The Bear Mountain Bridge isn't really suitable as a commuter road, anyway. It's narrow and there's no center divider. Can be a bit of a white-knuckle drive at night or in bad weather.
 #1489427  by njtmnrrbuff

That is true about the location at the Bear Mountain Bridge. It looks like there isn't much room to build any parking structure at Manitou station since there is some sort of water on both sides of the station platforms as well as a few houses. Plus the access road from Rt. 9 to the Manitou train station is twisty not making it direct to the station if you are coming from Manitou. If you are coming to Bear Mountain Park by way of the Hudson Line, then you might as well just get off at Peekskill. There are more trains serving there. Manitou, on the other hand, has very few but if you are coming from the city on weekends, the train schedule caters pretty well if you are making a daytrip.

Re:

#1491226  by gamewell

Otto Vondrak wrote:Thornwood closed in 1984 upon electrification. Ridership was too low to justify construction of a high-level platform.

Golden's Bridge? Parking? they just built two new lots to accomodate riders. Heck of a lot easier since they removed that pesky town that was in the way back in 1970...

Let's close Bedford Hills. No reason, I just don't like Bedford Hills (and there is ZERO parking).

-otto-
March 31, 1984. I was on the last train that stopped at Thornwood before the termination of service there. Still have somewhere my monthly commutation ticket to Thornwood. After it closed, I started commuting from Pleasantville.