Railroad Forums 

• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#10549  by badneighbor

i recall in the past the NYA laying up the scrap cars from Medford in Yaphank. I went there later on, and saw there is work going on at the sidings. what is the LIRR doing at YA?

#10594  by JoeLIRR

April 7th,

@ apx 09:15hrs I saw an NYA train passing my job between Lynbrook & RVC... I would say I saw it at apx 3000ft west from ocean ave.

not shur of the #'s caus I was at work, just got lucky enough that the oil was draining whial the train passed, (2 mp15's head end)

#10646  by Knife-Switch

JoeLIRR wrote:apx 3000ft west from ocean ave.

not shur of the #'s caus I was at work
Sounds like McBreen's Beverage center....YUMYUMYUM

#10659  by JoeLIRR

well the beverage center is about 1 block east of the auto shop where I work, I spotted the 2 locos just as they approachd the beverage barn.

#10751  by JMBethpage

4/8 at Divide:

9:51 E/B 155 w/ 2 full centerbeams & 1 boxcar, PJ branch
2:58 W/B 155 w/3 boxcars, PJ branch

#11577  by emfinite

Just got back from a week's vacation to Colorado to visit a relative, so hopefully on Monday I will get back railfanning and post up my findings.

#12143  by Legio X

Today I saw the GP-10 and one of the SW-1200's working in the yard at Fresh Pond. I saw the other SW-1200 on the Bay Ridge Branch while passing underneath on Metropolitan Ave. At Maspeth, I saw 101 and 106 in the yard there. I saw the two dead MP-15ac's at Pond also. No GP38-2's in sight. Also, I saw the CP Rail SD40-2's laying over next to the LIRR by the bridge.

#12147  by BMT

Well, my report for today is NO sighting of ANYTHING on the layup tracks underneath the Gowanus Expressway (Bay Ridge Branch). Surprising....I guess NYCH is back in full operation...

I happenned to be on the Sea Beach Line today.

#12152  by JMBethpage

At Bethpage, 9:10 pm W/B 270/271 w/ 22 cars

#12750  by emfinite

I was hanging out at Deer Park station tonight with Lirrmike and we caught the RS51 at 8:20pm heading out westbound. 271/270 with 6 cars.
 #13266  by BMT

With the weather being soooooo nice for a change, I dusted off the bike and road around a bit. Went down to Floyd Bennett Field, then the bike path along the Belt Parkway to the new shopping mall at Gateway Center. Then I back-tracked through ENY till I got to the Industrial complex near Canarsie. I went past Brooklyn Resources (Mount Scrapmore) at Preston Court and continued through to the Brooklyn Terminal Market. Noticed something interesting there: a NEW refrigerator car over at BTM. When did you get that? Is it a replacement for the old yellow Union Pacific reefer, or an addition to the fleet?
 #13268  by freightguy

There is track work going at Yaphank siding to rehabilitate the siding and team track in there. They're replacing ties and rail and so forth. Soon there will be carloads of bentonite going into the team track. It is usually carried in BNSF style covered hoppers. They are using this to cap the Brookhaven landfill which isn't too far from YA siding.

GREG

#13370  by Legio X

Does Georgia Pacific still have an operation next to Yaphank's LIRR station? I remember seeing single- and double-door boxcars and bulkhead flatcars there in the past. If it is still in operation, how often does NYA service it?

#14165  by JMBethpage

4/20 at Divide:
An unusual 3 engine consist of 261/268/151 w/1 full centerbeam and 7 boxcars, E/B on PJ branch at 10:44.

#14191  by Jayjay1213

The reefer car in Brooklyn Terminal Market is not NYA property, it is a car that came from somewhere in the US with merchandise for a company at the Market, as of last night, there was 3 reefers in the BTM.
As for the 3 engine consist on the RS-30, they are test running the 261, 268 again and brought the 151 as "just in case" power.

Jason