Railroad Forums 

• IF YOU SEE ME IN OREGON THIS WEEKEND...

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#427187  by Otto Vondrak

Hi Everyone,

Taking a short vacation to Oregon and Washington this weekend. I'll be spending a couple of days shooting BNSF in the Columbia River Gorge from Vancouver to Wishram, and a couple of days shooting UP and BNSF on the Oregon Trunk from Wishram to Bend. I hope to make a visit to the historic Brooklyn Roundhouse as well. If you see me trackside, I'll be the guy in the rental car with maps spread out on the hood saying, "Where the #$(&#$ am I?" as three westbounds speed by in beautiful morning sunlight.

See you next week!

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#428205  by Otto Vondrak

Image Image Image

FRIDAY:
BNSF Fallbridge Sub from Vancouver, WA to Wishram, WA.

SATURDAY:
BNSF Fallbridge Sub from Vancouver, WA to North Dalles, WA.

UP Portland Sub from The Dalles, OR to Portland, OR.

PNWR from Portland to Albany, OR

PNWR from Albany to Corvalis, OR

UP in Albany, OR

Visit with RAILROAD.NET member/moderator GOLDEN-ARM trackside at Corvalis, OR.

SUNDAY:
Heading over Mount Hood to track the Oregon Trunk from Madras to Bend, OR.

MONDAY:
Flying out at midnight back to JFK... yuk.

-otto-

#429069  by Otto Vondrak

SUNDAY

Drove from Portland over Mount Hood to Madras, OR. I hit up the Oregon Trunk from Madras to Bend, didn't see any trains. I stopped at Prineville Junction (where the City of Prineville Railroad connects) and found the Mount Emily Lumber Co. Shay in steam, getting ready to pull the dinner train. I couldn't stay long, so I continued on to Bend for a visit with my Uncle Otto and Aunt Charlotte.

MONDAY

Followed the OT Local from Bend to Madras, making stops at Deschutes, Prineville Jct, Culver, and Madras. Had an interesting ex-ATSF GP30 in the mix. Traffic was slow on the Trunk, only saw one addtional southbound. Drove over Mount Hood again, did some evening shots at Vancouver, WA. Happened to catch the north and south Amtrak Cascades within a few minutes of each other. The last hour of daylight had me running from one end of the platform to the other, one leg of the wye to the next, trying to keep up with the traffic moving through the area. Then it was a quick drive to Gresham to say goodbye to the cousins, then off onto a midnight flight to JFK.

TUESDAY

Jetlagged and home again... after driving 1400 miles over four days!

-otto-