Railroad Forums 

• All Things Portal Bridge: Amtrak and NJT Status and Replacement Discussion

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1406358  by Hawaiitiki

Maybe I'm missing something, but is this article only referring to an "apples to apples" replacement? 2 tracks replaced by 2 tracks? Isn't one of the goals to at the very least triple (hope quadruple) track the distance between the waterfront connection junction and New York Penn? $1.5billion for a two track non-moveable bridge seems insane.
 #1406387  by east point

Hawaiitiki wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but is this article only referring to an "apples to apples" replacement? 2 tracks replaced by 2 tracks? Isn't one of the goals to at the very least triple (hope quadruple) track the distance between the waterfront connection junction and New York Penn? $1.5billion for a two track non-moveable bridge seems insane.
Yes you are missing something. Media types do get their writing incorrect. The plan as posted elsewhere on Gateway sites has the first 2 track north Portal bridge to be constructed. The present swing bridge will be kept in service but if it has a failure it can be taken out of service and repaired. Once funding is acquired for the 2 track Portal south bridge then the swing bridge will be removed. So the swing bridge is going to be around for awhile. Since the whole NEC Gateway project needs funds the south Portal bridge is one of the last items to start construction.

At one time the Gateway project list was ----- subject to changes no one is aware
1. 2 track North Portal bridge and all track work. Preliminary work has already started for isolation of the column areas.
2. 2 new North (Hudson) river tunnel bores
3. NYP Penn south station construction
4. 4 tracking from North river tunnel bores to Newark Penn station.
5. 2 track south Portal bridge ( with connections changed from swing bridge )
5a. Removal of Portal swing bridge
6. Secaucus loop track
7. East river tunnel bores 5 & 6 connecting to new Penn south tracks. Subject to the new New York city water tunnel (2 or 3 ? ) construction finished south of NYP.
8. Dock draw over Passaic river rehabilitated ( just north of Newark Penn station ).
As stated above these projects may be started in different order. Since the projects will take different times to complete items started later may be completed earlier.
 #1431918  by EuroStar

So the first contract for the bridge has been awarded. http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... SE_ID=3139
NJ TRANSIT has taken another step toward improving service reliability on the Northeast Corridor by moving forward with the Portal Bridge North Project and entering into an early action construction contract award.
At today’s Board of Directors’ meeting, the Board authorized a vote to enter into an early action contract with PKF-Mark III Inc., of Newtown, Pa., for the amount of $14.5 million, plus five percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.
Work is expected to begin in July and is anticipated to be completed by the first-quarter of 2019.
This surely feels like a third world country -- for a bridge that is expected to cost $1B spending the first $15M takes about an year and a half. Makes me wonder if even the money was in the bank today (it is not) when would they expect to finish this?
 #1431989  by Woody

After enduring the waits on CAF's Viewliner II cars and Nippon-Sharyo's bi-level cars, I guess I can wait for the new North Portal Bridge. LOL.

I'll console myself that for a mere $15 million they're getting a lot of little stuff out of the way. So it's a start. (Sigh)
The Early Action Construction project includes the realignment of a 138kV transmission pole, the installation of new fiber optic cable poles, the construction of a construction access structure known as a finger pier, the construction of a steel bridge structure over the Jersey City Municipal Utility Authority water main, and the construction of a retaining wall just west of the Frank R. Lautenberg Station at Secaucus Junction.
And actually, I wasn't expecting even $15 million of work to start this soon!
 #1432117  by ThirdRail7

That is a major issue. He has indicated that he does not plan to stay around long and looks forward to going back into retirement. He intends to get Amtrak on the right path and turn it over to someone else.

I think he is doing a decent job thus far but if he leaves, the next group may just change everything all over again.
 #1432168  by east point

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... SE_ID=3139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link has an important feature. It appears a bridge will be needed across a water line. That cities' main probably is cast iron and would be very likely to break under stress of construction trucks, cranes, dredges, etc. It may be that the water line cannot be taken out of service to replace it with ductile iron pipe encased in a steel conduit. We feel anything less may still lead to the pipe being prone to breakage with all the construction traffic over the bridge and possibility of some vehicle missing or falling off the bridge.
This is a factor that risk assessment must consider.
 #1442109  by Jeff Smith

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... urdle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Portal Bridge project clears another hurdle

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Transit Administration on Wednesday approved the environmental impact statement for the Portal Bridge replacement, an important step toward obtaining federal funding for the $1.6 billion project.

Replacing the century-old bridge over Hackensack River in Kearny is part of the Gateway Tunnel project, which also includes new tracks under the Hudson River.

When the old swing bridge gets stuck in the open position, it delays train traffic in the heavily traveled Northeast Corridor. The new bridge would be a higher, fixed span.

The federal government is being asked to pay about half the cost. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, New Jersey Transit and Amtrak also are involved with the project.