• Modoc Railroad Academy

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by roee

I have been looking at starting a new career in the RR, but if I did that, I'd want to be an engineer. I've heard for the Modoc railroad academy and was wondering what people have heard and think about it. They have both the conductor training program as well as the locomotive engineer training program (though you have to take the conductor one first). Do people think that going strait for Engineer is a bad idea (I know it's a costly route), or a decent way to get right into what one wants.

Thanks,
Eric

by LCJ

I'm not aware of any Class I railroads that will hire anyone, without significant experience, directly as an engineer. You must hire and establish seniority as a brakeman/switchman, then take promotion as it comes in turn.

Someone else may know differently, though.
Last edited by LCJ on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

I agree with the others......many of these Conductor training schools dont even really teach you everything that you need to know out here in this industry.

Start off as a trainman.....get used to the demanding hours...........long trips and delays..........being 200 or more miles away from home and family for sometimes 24 hours, just to go right back out as soon as you get home.....................it's a different kind of job, which many find too demanding, but those who can adjust to it, can mke it very rewarding.

by roee

Well, I understand about the 'buy the job' part, and really, that's exactly what I want to do. As for dealing with the lifestyle, I'm fully aware of that. I'm not 18 and all green. I work a job where I'm away from home weeks at a time, and my schedule changes everyday (heck, I don't even always get the luxury of 8 hours off, though that is rare).

As for the conductor training program, I believe that this is how CSX does there hiring now for conductors. You get hired on, but then have to pay for the class (or atleast I've seen ads for that).

Thanks to everyone for the input, even though it is all negative. I'm planning on trying to go up there and check it out before I make any decisions. I figured hiring out to a Class 1 from this would be unlikely. But please, it anyone has anymore comments, please keep them coming.

by SnoozerZ49

Hey Roee:
I wouldn't say the advice was negative. It was very realistic. By stating right up front that you want to be an engineer right off the street is like waving a red flag in front of a bull when it comes to railroaders.

At my railroad, a group of Assistant Conductors was recently hired. Every individual was brought in from the street. The big deal was that there are a lot of young people toiling in other jobs with the hope of someday making it into train service. To overlook all of them was a slap in the face to everyone working on the railroad.

As far as engineer goes, well they are kind of at the top of the food chain and while ambition is good it is best kept secret on the railroad. You have a lot of dues to pay in order to become an engineer.

I like to make a lot of jokes at the expense of engineers ( it's only natural for a Conductor) but the truth is that they face a lot of very serious issues on the job. There is great risk in what they do and to immediately claim that you are ready to be an engineer is quite a statement.

Good luck with your process but be careful how you position yourself. Blind ambition is often frowned upon by railroaders.

by roee

I never claimed that I was ready to be an engineer off the street. Just that I had heard of this training and was wondering about it. My point was that if I did go into train service, I'd want to be an engineer, and if there was training I could take that would make that happen quicker but was decent, I'd do it. I'm glad to hear all the points that everyone has made, and I will take them into account. Thats why I posted my questions, to get some outside feed back. My reasoning for wanting to 'buy the job' as someone put it was that I didn't want to take the long process to rise in the ranks, which isn't even alway going to happen (like you stated with the conductors off the street).

by LCJ

I wish you well, Eric. Education, no matter what kind, is always a good investment, as I see it.

An old saying around the railroad where I worked: "Engineer -- yesterday I couldn't even spell it, and today I are one!"

by CSX Conductor

Snoozer, thanks for defending ,me......I was not being negative.....but more-so, just trying to be realistic as you pointed out.

As far as CSXT.......you pay for the school first, then after completion of the course....they "hire" you and then start your on the job training.

Basically, once you payy for the school, you have the job as long as you:

1)pass the course
2) pass physical and drug screen
3) do not falsify or fail to disclose any info on application

by roee

CSX Conductor,
When I said it was negative, I ment that your realistic assement was of a negative view of Modoc. Negative meaning that going there probably isn't the best choice. I guess I didn't explain that well. I'm glad to hear your points. You raised some conserned that I might not have though of. I pretty much knew that a Class 1 probably wouldn't hire someone out of school. My plan if I did it would have been to take the training, then cut my teeth as it were in a regional and then maybe make the leap to a Class 1. I'm still not sure what my plans are. But if I do really think I might go, I'll visit for sure to check the place out.
  by safetyiskey

I have been through a college course and Modoc. I strongly encourage prospective employees to apply nationwide, be patient, drugfree, and have a clean background. In the colder parts of the country, the Railroads are hiring such as "Canadian Pacific". Let them train you (they won't treat you like elementary children) and they will pay you too! Apply to multiple railroads, practice their application processes, and be honest. I think the educational experiences caused more problems than helped, although not completely a waste, but not worth the amount of time and money. Research railroads, try to find people who work there and ask questions. Most importantly, work safely, follow the rules and take your time when your working for one. Don't fall prey to the over sensationalism of private or so called "not for profit" schools. Don't be afraid to call the railroads and ask where they need help the most. Apply at those locations. In some cases, you must be willing to relocate and work in less desirable areas of the country. If you feel you must go to a school, do not pay for engineering school. It is not worth the investment unless you just love trains and want to know how to operate a locomotive. You might get hired at a short line as an engineer, but very seldom at a class 1, unless they are desperate. I write this post to help others avoid the mistakes I made as I think I could of been more patient and saved myself from manipulation, mental abuse, and financial waste. Be safe, follow the rules, and keep your money in your pocket!

Safety first!

Class 1 Conductor
  by Engineer Spike

I agree with all of the previous posts. I think that having experience as a trainman, and later a conductor will give you skills to be successful as an engineer. You will see how the engineer does his job, by watching him, as part of the crew. As a conductor, you will have more experience with the rules, and their application.
I have worked with some guys who went to Chooooo Choooooo U. It may have been beneficial to their getting hired, but not always. Some guys have what it takes, while others don't, plain and simple! Some companies, like Canadian Pacific seem to not mind hiring guys with experience. Others, like NS want new hires to only have THEIR methods, so don't tend to hire experienced guys, and their "bad habits".
Save your money, and have a steady, consistent work history, especially with some less cushy jobs. This will give you the best chances.

Being and engineer is not as simple as it looks. There are lots of things that need to be mastered to do well.

Re:

by Georgia Railroader

My reasoning for wanting to 'buy the job' as someone put it was that I didn't want to take the long process to rise in the ranks, which isn't even alway going to happen (like you stated with the conductors off the street).[/quote]

Yea well here's a little reality check for ya, you can't buy senority out here. You will hire out as a trainman and you will rise up in the ranks just like the rest of us. Not sure where you get the notion that one can just pay money and become an engineer out here overnight, it dont work that way. Not trying to sound harsh here, but that's just how it works.
  by roee

Thank you safetyiskey, Engineer Spike, & Georgia Railroader for your insight and information. On that note, this thread is just over 7 years old. It is good advice, and I agree, if anyone wants to become a conductor or engineer for a Class 1, I suggest you apply and get hired as a train service employee for the Class 1 where they will train you at their expense, and even pay you while they are doing it.

I never did become a conductor nor an engineer, but have been enjoying a successful railroad career, in an area that suits me very well.

Again, thanks for the advice, and although it might be 7 years late for me, it may be helpful for others in the same situation.
  by Gadfly

roee wrote:Thank you safetyiskey, Engineer Spike, & Georgia Railroader for your insight and information. On that note, this thread is just over 7 years old. It is good advice, and I agree, if anyone wants to become a conductor or engineer for a Class 1, I suggest you apply and get hired as a train service employee for the Class 1 where they will train you at their expense, and even pay you while they are doing it.

I never did become a conductor nor an engineer, but have been enjoying a successful railroad career, in an area that suits me very well.

Again, thanks for the advice, and although it might be 7 years late for me, it may be helpful for others in the same situation.

Glad to see you are still around! Glad you've found a successful railroad career! I've been telling folks you don't HAVE to be a choo choo driver to work on the railroad! LOL! :)