• New Hope & Ivyland

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by msernak

I saw a CP SD40 in New Hope today. Did they purchase this?

by NJT4272

Yeah, I saw it too! Today. For the first time.

According to the June 18, 2007 roster update at The Diesel Shop

It is on the roster!

It is a wreck (figuratively speaking). Took a close look at it and a few pics.

They've already did some disassembly ( hand rails on walkway, rear engineer side are removed).

Also of note are the "DO NOT OCCUPY CAB" signs on the cab door windows.

I wonder what their plans are? Not like an SD40 is a good parts source for the GP30 or their big 6-axle GE's.

Last edited by NJT4272 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by dreese_us

According to another website, plans are to use it as backup power. The SD40 replace the two GE's (7064 and 531) that went to Ohio Central.
  by amtrakhogger

Boy, they love overkill.

by NJT4272

"IT'S ALIVE!!!"

***UPDATE***

That ratty old CP RAIL SD-40 that has been sitting in New Hope for several months now was fired up today.

I was crossing into New Hope from NJ and saw a large cloud of white smoke coming from the yard. Thinking it was their steamer, I pulled into the parking lot to see what was going on. Turns out, that white smoke was coming from the SD-40 !! Guess it was the first time she's been turned over in a VERY long time!

by uhaul

I am guessing there was a money issue. Get a beat up unit at discount or spend more on a unit in better condition.

by jfrey40535

Wonder why they need so much power, and more of it, plus aren't the bigger units too heavy & hard on those old stick rails up in New Hope? Hopefully this means freight business is good.

by cjvrr

The larger units like this are cheaper than small switchers.

by BuddSilverliner269

They may be cheaper then switchers if that is true but the money that has to be spent on keeping the track in decent shape to support something that bigger and heavier has to far outweigh getting switchers. I know 1st hand because I have worked at the NH&I from 99-01 and they just got the c30-7 shortly after I hired and it couldnt negoitate the curved track at Castrol and CRC siding and they had to spend money to redue the curvature. Remember that branch is mostly 85 Pound rail and the c30-7 and the sd-40s are 3 axle trucks.I think a GP38 or something wouldve been better. Unfortunately the president of the NHIR always thought bigger was better and liked to have the small things fall to the wayside hence the 1533 sits forlorn outside the shop and they waste there little bit of time on El Taco loco from Mexico just cause its a 484. Im sure those ex LIRR cars and the ex Septa blue car will sit rusting away with no use. Ive had some fun times while I worked there but I left that place with a bad taste in my mouth like many do unfortunately. To put it simply, they do belive in overkill. T

by JimBoylan

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:that branch is mostly 85 Pound rail
It's not quite that bad, just the sidings, mostly at Ivyland and Grenoble. The rest is 90 with some 100, 130, 131, and 140 lb. rail.

by BuddSilverliner269

Jim most of the heavier rail you mention is at the grade crossings and some straightaways but the curves along with most of the branch is 85 pound rail. I worked there 4 almost 2 years and got aquinted with the ROW having worked on a track rehab project during the late fall early winter of 2000.

by jfrey40535

If they think bigger is better, I'd love to see them let #40 fall by the wayside and get a T1 from Steamtown---now that'd be overkill!

Well when they start splitting rails either they'll realize they need lighter engines or newer tracks (although didn't they get a grant to upgrade parts of the line, or is that just in Warminster where the freight activity is?).

It would be nice to see the ex-RDG blues in some kind of service (at the very least get rid of the Wasp's nest on it), although I can imagine it needs a ton of work for passenger service.

by BuddSilverliner269

As much as I loathe the NHIR managament they would never let the #40 fall to the wayside. Its there bread and butter. The NHIR is constantly getting grant money to get track work done. When I was there we did the trackwork between Lahaska and Warminster since that was considered the freight trackage for them and thats how they get the moeny but I heard recently from a current employee that they got money to do the whole line because the equipment is based in New Hope etc. Track isnt being upgraded just the ties.Bigger isnt better for that line. #40 isnt big but yet still pulls a crowd in.

by limejuice

They got the SD40-2 for a steal because it had a bad-ordered air compressor. Apparently, it failed quite catastrophically. Any other problems with the engine were cosmetic or minor. The engine might be used as backup power or it might be turned over for a substantial profit - as was the case with the other C30-7's. While I have some disagreements with NHRR management's methods, track conditions are constantly improving. All of the curves will eventually be upgraded to 130-132lb. relay rail. The 90lb. stuff on the tangents - some of which dates to 1905 - will be replaced as needed. It holds up the heaviest loads just fine over good wood. And they replace about 3000-6000 ties per year. Nearly all of the trestles and turnouts on the line have brand-new timbers, and switches that are used most frequently have new 130-132lb. steel. They also have the ability to weld rails, but due to the expense of the materials, don't expect to see CWR here. The roadbed has never been great, as the Reading Company used nothing but cinders for ballast on this branch. That didn't hold up to deferred ROW maintenance over several decades. But they now have both a tamper and a regulator, along with stone cars and the ability to pick up the phone and get a carload of stone in a matter of hours. They have a solid revenue stream. The track conditions will only continue to improve.

by lvrr325

FWIW, for a while there when UP was dumping older SD40s you could buy one for $20,000 or so. As opposed to a GP38 or GP40 which was at least 5 times as much. Even a GP9, unless in near junk shape, would bring $50,000. Why were the larger engines cheaper? Because they're too big for most secondhand users. Larry's Truck & Electric cut up plenty of them. The NYS&W picked up 4 they could press right into service for cheaper than they could repair their own SD45s for.

Even if you just scrap one, the copper alone has a ridiculous value to pull out of a locomotive. Thats why people steal traction motor leads.

So I'm sure they got a good deal on this unit, particularly since it was in need of repair. Sure it's heavy, but you can control that to some extent simply by running it with a light fuel load.