Railroad Forums 

• HO scale models of L&HR equipment

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#413224  by tristate

Can anyone tell me if any HO model manufacturers ever produced any LHR rolling stock? Since I've gotten back into the hobby I haven't heard of anything that wasn't custom and very few of them too.
TS

#413284  by umtrr-author

I don't think there was a lot to choose from, though, in terms of the prototype.

I remember seeing the Life-Like northeastern caboose but I think that was a custom paint not a regular run. I seem to dimly recall a two bay covered hopper as well but I can't be sure.

N Scalers are finally getting an L&HR diesel, a C-420. It's the last "major" NJ railroad from which I need an example item.

#413288  by metman499

Bethlehem Car Works makes conversion kits to do several varieties of L&HR caboose. Atlas is doing a C-420 that should be out soon.

#413320  by rfalcone

I have a couple of C-420s done by Tiger Valley....really nice. They run slow very well. All metal too. They are a couple of stump pullers!

I have a brass L&H caboose that needs to be painted and decaled as well as one that I did from a plastic kit. For spray painting out of a can, the plastic kit turned out pretty nice.

Every once in a while I will see something but it escapes me where. I have always looked at it this way, since the L&H was a bridge line it was always appropriate to run every other railroad's stuff on a train. As far as I can recall, they had a small crane, a flanger, cabooses and some covered hoppers. Can anyone else think of anything they had around the yard?

Have you tried the Anthracite site? I want to say that they may have done something at some point.

If you find something let us know!

#413473  by tristate

Thanks for the responses guys. I have one of the Life Like Eastern cabooses and I saw a Con Cor covered hopper on Ebay but it looked like a home made ( crooked decals). I have been told that the LHR didn't have any of their own boxcars after the '30's because being a bridge line they didn't need their own. I have seen pix of their flanger, the cabooses, the crane and the covered hoppers. The hoppers were what I was most interested in.
I also have 2 Rivarossi LHR 420's (#23 and 29) that I haven't found any production info on. Can anyone tell me around when these models were made and what's the history of Rivarossi?
TS

#413481  by umtrr-author

Rivarossi had been around for a long time. They were a key OEM to many other model railroad companies, most notably AHM in HO Scale and Atlas in N (much of the "Atlas 1st Generation" I cover in my website is from them).

They also distributed their products through any number of channels after the AHM and Atlas agreements ended. In no specific order, there were at least Walthers, Con-Cor, and Model Expo. I know I'm leaving some out. In N Scale there was a long relationship with Con-Cor.

Sadly, the company went under some years ago. Arnold picked up some of their N Scale stock, and I don't know what happened to the HO material.

#413516  by Otto Vondrak

You didn't say what era you are looking for... I typed in "lehigh & hudson river ho scale" into a search engine and found:

Atlas is releasing C420's in LHR blue and gray: http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOLocomot ... /013TQ.jpg

IHC sells a 2-8-0 decorated for LHR:
http://ihc-hobby.com/cgi-bin/bsc.cgi?sn=467

Raritan Bay Hobbies sells decals for LHR:
http://www.raritanbayhobbies.com/hoscalcusdec.html

Hope this helps get you started.

-otto-

#413628  by rfalcone

Otto brought up a good point about what era you are interested in. The cool part about the L&H is whether it is steam or diesel you can still use the same model caboose.

If you are interested in diesel, I have seen some RS-3 decal sets on e-bay. You can slap them on an undecorated model. I have a set that I may put on an old Hobbytown RS-3. It is all metal that is very detailed. The stack is the wrong configuration and the number boards will need to be changed but it would be a dandy when (and if) I ever get around to it.

#413714  by Marty Feldner

Might as well throw my 40% of a nickel in (this could go on for a while)...

While Google is a tremendous search engine, it doesn't know squat about L&HR prototypes. That IHC 2-8-0 has as much to do with the L&HR as a streamlined passenger train; it has the right number of wheels under the boiler and cylinders, and that's about it. It looks nothing like any consolidation they had. The decals from Raritan Bay Hobbies are, I believe, reproductions of the old Herald King/Miller Advertising 10 class caboose decals.

As for the new Atlas C-420, there was discussion about it in a previous thread; technically it is only accurate for the 21 after a rebuild in 1966. I haven't seen one yet, but from the website pictures, it looks like the blue they used is a little on the dark side; it's hard to tell from just one photo (they were given color input from a few people, including me; no idea if they used it).

A few years back Atlas also released an L&HR RS-3. Overall good, but the herald on the cab side looked oversize; also, it doesn't have the correct 'frog-eye' numberboards (more about that later). I don't have one, but I've heard that the Atlas cab is more that a foot out of position; not good. I've heard that it is because the Atlas tooling was based on an incorrect drawing in Mainline Modeler magazine.

I have one of the old Stewart RS-3's, and two of the old cast-metal Hobbytown powered models. The Hobbytowns weigh almost as much as a house, and will pull a house. Super slow speed gearing, especially for its age; it uses a DC-70 open frame motor, and the drive uses no worm gear. The design dates to around 1950. And Rich, the stack on the Hobbytown is correct for the as-delivered RS-3's; they received the cross-mounted stacks when they were upgraded to the newer water-cooled turbocharger (somewhere around '55).

As for the distinctive numberboards, Detail Associates used to make them, but they required hollowing out a notch on the hood corners. Not an easy task on the Hobbbytown's hard zamak hood castings. Short Line Products makes the boards, hollowed out on the back to fit the corner contour (the bottom of the boards should be 9 feet above the walkway).

For steam motive power, any USRA light mikado could be used for the 80 class, at least for the as-delivered version. Broadway Limited offered their version correctly lettered for L&HR. Over the years the road added and changed details and piping (most visibly, adding a Worthington feedwater heater and a second cross-compound air pump).

Years ago, Bachman offered a plastic Reading I-10sb 2-8-0. The tender is wrong, but the locomotive could be a stand-in for a 90 class. With some detailing (mainly a fatter boiler, and the right appliances and tender), a decent model can be done. In roughly the same time frame, Lee Town Models produced a set of detail parts to convert a contemporary Mantua 2-8-0 into a 90 class.

For the 10 class 4-8-2's, years ago AHM imported a brass B&M R1-d (there may have been another brass import in the 80's; not sure). I have one of the AHM's. Since the 10 class was built using plans of the R1-d, it's a good stand-in, though there are minor detail differences.

Again years ago (early 60's?) Gem imported a brass Reading I-6; this was very close to the 50 and 60 class camelback 2-8-0's (three of them lasted until the end of steam).

That's about it, off the top of my head, for motive power.

Rolling stock? At least two brass versions of the 10 class cabooses have been imported over the years, and there is the Branchline conversion kit for the Life-Like. Nothing has been done for the earlier 90 class (the 'long' cabooses converted from milk cars), or the four-wheel 70 and 80 class bobbers (but- stay tuned for something on the 90 class, he said enigmatically :-)

For work train equipment, there was the Ambroid craftsman kit for the flanger 105 (former O&W R-4, bought at the O&W bankruptcy sale). Good model, and accurate- it still shows up on Ebay.

Gould (now Tichy) put out a 120 ton steam wrecking crane that is very close to the L&HR's 100 ton crane (minor differences in boom rigging and pulley frame pivot point location). I have one, and it's a lot closer than anything else on the market.

As for freight cars, as mentioned there wasn't much on the prototype to choose from, and with one exception, none have been produced.

The exception is from a couple of years back, a joint venture of Roller Bearing Models and Shortline Products. It's a flat-cast resin kit of the 2000 class zinc ore hoppers. Decidedly a craftsman kit, but beautiful.

Nothing has been done for the earlier classes of zinc cars (if you see anything in a covered hopper lettered L&HR, it ain't real).

There were two large (for the L&HR) classes of boxcars, dating to the turn of the century. The 2000 class (yeah, same series as the last zinc hoppers, but the boxcars were LONG gone by then) were all wood, truss-rod double sheathed cars. Most if not all were gone by shortly after WW I. Slightly newer were the steel-underframe 2100 class.

I made reasonable stand-ins for both using the old Roundhouse 39' double sheathed boxcars- both truss rod and steel underframe. I used long-discontinued Walthers L&HR freight decal sets that I'd hoarded in the early 70's.

A handful of these were converted to work train service (painted gray) sometime around WW II.

There were also the few flatcars and low-side gons; again, no accurate models have been produced.

There's more (not much- passenger and milk, both gone before WW II), but I've gone on long enough...
 #413930  by tristate

Ok, it sounds like I'll be modeling my own LHR covered hoppers that were used at Limecrest. I'm doing the early '60's era. Were they PS-2's? I've seen pictures of black hoppers and what looks like gray. Is that correct?
TS

#414282  by GOLDEN-ARM

I rarely see LHR pix. Occaasionally, one might be seen, in a Valley book. Heres a shot, you might have seen already. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/lhr/lhr2015akg.jpg

#414389  by geep39

Nope, sorry, the L&HR's zinc ore cars were custom built in the Reading shops. They are actually smaller than PS-2's. There were also some of the same design built for the CNJ. I thought that Funaro & Camerlengo made resin kits of these cars not long ago.

A lot of L&HR's rolling stock was "close but no cigar", and it looks close to the common stuff, but isn't.

I understand that Bethlehem Car Works has conversion kits for the Life-Like Proto 2000 caboose that converts them to the wood World War II version of Reading's "Northeastern" caboose. (L&HR's were built by the Reading).
 #414474  by tristate

I'll look into the Funaro car. I did some research last night and found almost everything I needed to know about all 4 classes of zinc cars in L&HR volume 2: The East End complete with pictures. Now all I need is to find some freight decals. (Lots of RS-3 and caboose decals around). Any suggestions?
TS
 #414633  by geep39

I was wrong about Funaro & Camerlengo. Their website was down when I made my last post. That kit is not available from them. Check out: www.fandckits.com They DO have some weird stuff, though.

Hey! What's the big deal about lack of freight car decals? All you need is "LHR" and some numbers, and you have it!

BTW, Bethlehem Car Works site is: www.bethlehemcarworks.com

[/url]
 #414649  by tristate

I checked out Funaro last night. They do have some strange items. I've got one of their Borden butterdish tank cars for a future project. Good idea about the decals.
Thanks to everyone for the info.
TS