Railroad Forums 

• Dean Richmond

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#86  by WNYRailfan

Probably the only famous person in railroad history that I have some knowledge about is Dean Richmond. He was made Vice Presdent of the New York Central Railroad in 1853. In 1864 he was chosen to become the president of the New York Central. He remained president until his death in 1866. He is buried in the Old Batavia Cemetery on Harvester Avenue in Batavia, NY. I have been to his gravesite. Interestingly enough, his gravesite lies about 1 mile South of the former New York Central Main Line (when it went directly through Batavia before 1957).

(Joseph Ellicott the person who founded Batavia and Buffalo is also buried in the Old Batavia Cemetery.)

WNYRailfan
 #1655  by eddiebear

I'm assuming that relatively large...for the time...Hudson River night steamer was named after him too.
 #1656  by eddiebear

I'm assuming that relatively large...for the time...Hudson River night steamer was named after him too.
 #1657  by eddiebear