Railroad Forums 

• Fairmount Line Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#210356  by CSX Conductor

I looked on the MBTA web-site but didn't see anything about the new commuter rail station that will be built on the Dorchester Branch......anybody see anything? They started clearing out a large area next to the right of way a few weeks ago and things appear to be moving rapidly.

#210377  by Tertullian

The T isn't good about updating its system maps, so I doubt they'll make anything public until the station is pretty built up (platform, shelters, etc).

#210388  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

haha yea most likely, but they there is something in the news about the Warwick TF Green station, they will break ground next month on the project

haha, oops, i just saw the other topic w/ the Warwick station
 #210389  by marlowe

CSX Conductor wrote:I looked on the MBTA web-site but didn't see anything about the new commuter rail station that will be built on the Dorchester Branch......anybody see anything? They started clearing out a large area next to the right of way a few weeks ago and things appear to be moving rapidly.
This past summer there was a sign at the Talbot ave bridge that said "New site of Talbot Ave Station". The sign was removed a few weeks later, but there is alot of work going on right now where the Harvard St bridge is loacated for the Dorchester branch. Same "clearing out" going on there too.

#210404  by Robert Paniagua

They are supposed to add a few more stations to the Fairmount Extension to accomodate residents in those neighbourhoods that lacked such stations. Eventually, the Fairmount Brainch will be more like a subway line almost with those new stations in addition to the existing ones, and there will be increased service on that line as well.

#210473  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:They are supposed to add a few more stations to the Fairmount Extension to accomodate residents in those neighbourhoods that lacked such stations.
Yes Robert, I was already aware of that thank you.
 #338866  by rhodiecub2

Do you think it would be have been more beneficial to convert the Fairmount line as a rapid transit line? I mean there would be more service which that line greatly needs.

#338886  by redline43

There are proposals to upgrade Fairmount Line service. Introduction of DMU Rapid Transit like vehicles, short headways, new stations with Rapid Transit like spacing, and a simplified fare structure. Currently the MBTA is building Phase 1 of the project, which is improving the existing stations: Uphamps Corner, Morton Street, Fairmount, and Readville. The improvements include full length high level platforms, better lighting and signage, and better neighborhood access. Phase 2 includes building new stations at: South Bay, Columbia Road, Four Corners, Tablot Avenue, and Blue Hills Avenue. Phase 3 includes more frequent service and introduction of Rapid Transit like vehicles.

The beauty of the Fairmount line is how easy it will be to introduce Rapid Transit to Dorchester. The line goes through a very densley populated, transit dependant community, it is completely grade seperated, and the rails are in mint condition. It is a gift to the MBTA.

Many ask, why doesn't the MBTA go one step further and upgrade the line to Third Rail Rapid Transit. Well, the Fairmount Branch is the only alternative to the overburdened Southwest Corridor. In fact, some peak commuter rail trains are scheduled to run via the Fairmount Line. The Fairmount Line as an alternative route is too valuable.

#338974  by CSX Conductor

If you have the patience and time to do so, do a search in the MBTA Forum for this discussion earlier in the year, also referred to the MBTA's proposed Indigo Line.

As for converting it to Rapid Transit, I don't see it ever happening, mainly because it is such a vital line, especially as an alternate to the Southwest Corridor as mentioned above.

As for the upgrades, the Uphams Corner Station is complete and most of the high-level platforms are installed @ Morton Street. Both mainly tracks were re-tamped over the last several weeks, and they are in the process of installing a new signal system.

#339093  by theinsider

CSX Conductor wrote: As for the upgrades, the Uphams Corner Station is complete and most of the high-level platforms are installed @ Morton Street. Both mainly tracks were re-tamped over the last several weeks, and they are in the process of installing a new signal system.
The outbound end of both platforms at Uphams are now in service. Supposed to be the rear double of the train going outbound and the head double going in.

#339103  by vanshnookenraggen

All the T needs to do is add some DMU's and CALL it a rapid transit line by adding it to the subway system map. If it looks like RT and you can use it like RT, who cares if it runs on CR tracks and isn't 3rd rail?

#339105  by Ron Newman

The fare structure would also need to be integrated with the rapid transit system, including free transfers to and from the Red and Silver lines at South Station. CharlieCard probably helps here.

#339199  by trainhq

Yes, running DMU's on the line and turning it into rapid transit makes perfectly good sense; I've ridden the DMUs down on the River Line in New Jersey, and they're quite acceptable. However, you have to remember, this is the T we're dealing with here. The problem with running DMUs on the Fairmount line, is that once they start running them there, the T will be under pressure to run them everywhere else. Only that means extensive investment in new equipment, and maintenance facilities/training, and the T doesn't want to do that right now. I think the T would rather wait until their existing locomotives have to be replaced (when?) before they think about that; then it might make sense.

#339208  by Ron Newman

is a DMU similar to a Budd RDC? They have plenty of experience running those, at least on the north side.

#339265  by MBTA3247

RDCs are a type of DMU.