Railroad Forums 

• TAMR Meetings and other teen enthusiast gatherings

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#264428  by LandDownUnder

Hello all

Being a follower of American model railroads, I was intrigued to hear about the TAMR organisation in the US, as I find few systems of model railroad societies targetted primarily at youth modellers, both in the UK and home in Australia. I am however a member of one dedicated club in Australia, based in Sydney, which is primarily a school student and youth modellers guild.

As posted in other forums and NJ Forum, I'll be headed over to the United States in a fortnight's time for a duration of a month, and plan on alot of extensive railfanning in the North-Eastern area, as I'll be primarily staying out of Philadelphia, PA.

I'm curious if the TAMR (Or any other teen-based enthusiast club) regularly holds meetings/excursions for its members, and if it'd be possible for a 'guest visit' to a meeting, mainly for my observation to experience what the clubs are like over in the US compared to home and get to know a few people.

Also, how often do enthusiasts here, exclusively through the Railroad.net forums, arrange to meet up to spend a day of railfanning around a location or meet up of an evening at a bar/resturant to talk trains? Very often here, through the RailPage website (Being the Australian equivalent of railroad.net), I organise Friday night gatherings at a Sydney Central Station bar for forum members to meet up and have a good night of chatting.

I'm hoping to arrange something of this nature to get to know a few local enthusiasts in the North-East. Although I'm mainly staying out of Philadelphia, I'm happy to travel to NYC, Baltimore or Washington if anyone is interested in also forming a social meeting one day.

Thanks for any assistance provided.
 #264471  by TAMR213

LandDownUnder wrote:Hello all

Being a follower of American model railroads, I was intrigued to hear about the TAMR organisation in the US, as I find few systems of model railroad societies targetted primarily at youth modellers, both in the UK and home in Australia. I am however a member of one dedicated club in Australia, based in Sydney, which is primarily a school student and youth modellers guild.

As posted in other forums and NJ Forum, I'll be headed over to the United States in a fortnight's time for a duration of a month, and plan on alot of extensive railfanning in the North-Eastern area, as I'll be primarily staying out of Philadelphia, PA.

I'm curious if the TAMR (Or any other teen-based enthusiast club) regularly holds meetings/excursions for its members, and if it'd be possible for a 'guest visit' to a meeting, mainly for my observation to experience what the clubs are like over in the US compared to home and get to know a few people.

Also, how often do enthusiasts here, exclusively through the Railroad.net forums, arrange to meet up to spend a day of railfanning around a location or meet up of an evening at a bar/resturant to talk trains? Very often here, through the RailPage website (Being the Australian equivalent of railroad.net), I organise Friday night gatherings at a Sydney Central Station bar for forum members to meet up and have a good night of chatting.

I'm hoping to arrange something of this nature to get to know a few local enthusiasts in the North-East. Although I'm mainly staying out of Philadelphia, I'm happy to travel to NYC, Baltimore or Washington if anyone is interested in also forming a social meeting one day.

Thanks for any assistance provided.
Seeing as I am on the board of directors for the TAMR, and am this years summer national convention director, I feel I'm qualified to speak on behalf of the group. We reguarly have at least 2 conventions a year. There is a Winter National Convention held annually in Springfield MA, and a Summer National Convention which rotates around the country (this year it is in NJ from August 8th to 15th). These conventions are in addition to other smaller regional conventions held throughout the year (the NY/NJ Metro Div. holds at least 3 a year), and informal gatherings of members. Infact today, I went out to do some railfaning with a friend of mine from the group.

Also, LandDownUnder, please send me another PM if you would like more info on this years summer national convention and possibly attending it, or if you would just like to talk about the TAMR and compare groups some more.

#266556  by ANDY117

I'm the only one in Upstate NY. I feel so alone. Let me know if you want to experience the joys of Binghamton, NY aka Malfunction Junction. Where the CP, NS, and NYSW all meet.