Railroad Forums 

• Official SIRR Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#304716  by crnrailal

CJPat wrote:I believe none of the Summit work was sarted and was intentionally left for last because it would require the replacement of several bridges (most costliest part of the project). A little shrub clearing was reportedly conducted in the vicinity of the golf course but I think that was dismissed as being conducted by a utility company.
Saw a sign on the way home tonight that in 2008 Salerno Duane is moving from the Broad Street location to River Road ( the old Maplecrest Location. Is there any possibility they are moving because the funding for the completion of the Rahway Valley portion will available?

We can hope.

Crnrailal
 #304833  by blockline4180

crnrailal wrote:
CJPat wrote:I believe none of the Summit work was sarted and was intentionally left for last because it would require the replacement of several bridges (most costliest part of the project). A little shrub clearing was reportedly conducted in the vicinity of the golf course but I think that was dismissed as being conducted by a utility company.
Saw a sign on the way home tonight that in 2008 Salerno Duane is moving from the Broad Street location to River Road ( the old Maplecrest Location. Is there any possibility they are moving because the funding for the completion of the Rahway Valley portion will available?

We can hope.

Crnrailal

DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!!
 #304834  by blockline4180

crnrailal wrote:

We can hope.

Crnrailal

DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!!!

#305233  by MarkRouters

Just had to say it twice, didn't ya Blockline!

#306884  by CNJFAN

Has work resumed on the RVRR or is that project dead for good?

#308506  by rvrrhs

CNJFAN wrote:Has work resumed on the RVRR or is that project dead for good?
Neither.

I'm sure we'll hafta wait until after the elections before anything happens regarding additional funding, and I'm sure it won't be until spring that anything else happens...except for perhaps the removal of the bridge at Morris Ave. in Union for that road-widening project.

#313172  by markyk

about 15 cars sitting this morning between Amsterdam and South Ave in Cranford/Roselle....must have come up from Bayway sometime on Monday

#313491  by Wanderer

Should have been the 19 that brought them up in the early afternoon. I forget without the log in front of me.
 #314431  by myfavscr

I received a paper in the mail called " Union County Directions".
In it they had an article called "Connecting Union County-a transportation
and economic development summit".
One portion of the article "rail freight project" discusses the Rahway
Valley railroad project. I found it amusing.

" This project was estimated to cost about $13 mil in 1999 dollars,
which would be around $20 mil or more in 2006 dollars with inflation
and the cost of steel and fuel considered.Currently, this project is
about 50% complete and the initial segment which includes the
Staten Island Railroad section of the overall Rahway Valley Railroad
is essentially complete. The County is working with its partner,
the NJ Dept. of Transportation, on completing the initial section
and making this component operational and planning on the
remaining section of the line in the near future."
 #314513  by Don Maxton

Why do you find it amusing? I find it encouraging that they're still talking about it. I wouldn't take "in the near future" seriously, but I believe this project will be completed. The political/financial climate has to be favorable, and that will happen at some point.
 #314539  by blockline4180

Don Maxton wrote:Why do you find it amusing? I find it encouraging that they're still talking about it. I wouldn't take "in the near future" seriously, but I believe this project will be completed. The political/financial climate has to be favorable, and that will happen at some point.

So then here we go again! All this newspaper article is going to do is fuel more NIMBY and anti railroad rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see through freights pass down the Rahway Valley Line and into Summit and out the M&E/Washington Secondary. The problem is, nobody else does, politicians included!
Not only that, but we went over this 1 million times before in here... Aren't there some serious height restrictions through Summit to preclude any high and wide loads???

#314596  by Tri-State Tom

4180 -

" Aren't there some serious height restrictions through Summit to preclude any high and wide loads??? "

Sure are....just as there are to varying degrees on all other passenger/freight routes in and out of New Jersey.

Is someone expecting/anticipating a regular consist of 'high and wide loads' over this sleepy branch ?

If so, why ?

#314601  by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:4180 -

" Aren't there some serious height restrictions through Summit to preclude any high and wide loads??? "

Sure are....just as there are to varying degrees on all other passenger/freight routes in and out of New Jersey.

Is someone expecting/anticipating a regular consist of 'high and wide loads' over this sleepy branch ?

If so, why ?
Tom,

I wasn't implying that they are expecting that, I was just making a point that the clearances through that area were very tight. You could probably take a lengthy freight train up the sleepy branch, but the engines that are pulling it would have to be anything other then that widecab variety that NS/CSX currently operate. Heck, even some of the rebuilt NS GP38's can't fit through Summit!

#314647  by Tri-State Tom

4180 -

" Heck, even some of the rebuilt NS GP38's can't fit through Summit! "

Has that ever been reliably confirmed ?

Could be but when you consider that ALL of NJT's GP40 EMD fleet, ALL of the M&E's Alcos, EMD's plus the U34CH behemoths all ran regularly back and forth thru the refurbished Summit station area, it's hard to fathom that a rebuilt NS GP38 would be too tall.

All of NJT's GP40's have roof mounted cab a/c units....why would NS's be higher ? Plus, unless I'm mistaken, the entire Morristown line has a uniform minimum clearance.

#314651  by blockline4180

Tom,

Here is some discussion about the clearance issues with the GP38-3.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=555

Scroll down a bit to where nick11a describes the horn placement on those locomotives.