Railroad Forums 

• Saving some big Alcos?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#313914  by N. Todd

Cartier is somewhere in Quebec that you cant reach by rail.
How bowt this paint?

Personally, I would like to see the 630 in Alco demo paint since no one will do that on their C636s.

#313940  by SSW9389

I think the reason it will be yellow is so that a certain 1943-built Pine Bluff War Baby can roam the rails again. :wink:
N. Todd wrote:Why UP? I'd think they would like to charge Ed for using their proprietary paint scheme. There's enough yellow around. I'd like to see it in the Cartier green & yellow :-D

#313941  by SSW9389

The other reason that Cartier 34 will be in yellow is that the Arkansas Railroad Museum is repainting its display locomotives in original paint. The Museum asked for AT&SF paint diagrams for its RSD-15 earlier this year. The former AT&SF #843 is to be returned to blue and yellow paint. :wink:

Pine Bluff also has that little ex-Espee RSD-12 that hopefully will get a repaint soon.

#314384  by 2spot

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Yeah, and besides, exactly WHERE is that Carter Railway at anyways, since you mentioned it? :P
The Cartier Railway runs on 416 km of track between Port Cartier on the St Lawrence River and the iron ore mine at Mont-Wright in northern Quebec. By the way, the Trackside Guide shows 2 RS-18s and 7 M-636s still rostered. All M-636s "rebuilt with GE 251PLUS kits including PLC microprocessor control". An odd note for the "Guide".

#314429  by byte

That former Cartier C630 at Pine Bluff, as of this past August, had the cab painted back to UP colors, but the long hood was still in semi-stripped Cartier paint. My guess is that they're doing it in pieces and the long hood would be painted soon. The cab looked pretty good in armour yellow!

#314474  by Alcoman

All M-636s "rebuilt with GE 251PLUS kits including PLC microprocessor control". An odd note for the "Guide".[/quote]

The 251 Plus kits were supplied by GE after the loco business was sold. but Bombardier designed them.
Alcoman

#314935  by N. Todd

What exactly does the 251Plus kit consist of?

#315585  by Bryanjones

byte wrote:That former Cartier C630 at Pine Bluff, as of this past August, had the cab painted back to UP colors, but the long hood was still in semi-stripped Cartier paint. My guess is that they're doing it in pieces and the long hood would be painted soon. The cab looked pretty good in armour yellow!
actually the paintjob is complete, there were some photos of the unit over on the Trainorders.com Western RR board a few days ago. It really looks sharp in its fresh UP paint, silver trucks and all.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#315907  by Nova55

Ahh Naporanos SW...Still sitting there in front of the B23-7 when i seen it..

#318530  by N. Todd

Post on loconotes says that both Alcos are in the shop less traction motors

#339879  by u25b

Hello all, as you can see I'm new around these parts! As I am not sure what locos the group in Albany have, can I suggest that if they are incapable of looking after them, why not donate them to some organisation that can? The IRM springs to mind.
And that organisation could help with the question of saving a "big" alco. I read that they require a "dowry" of about $3000 with each loco donation to cover the cost of track and other stuff. Now if a loco can be saved and then donated to this museum (or any other for that matter), the dowry would be cheaper than trying to create a new home with the land costs and security and insurance that goes with it. In doing that, any locos saved could be placed on permanent loan with suitable museums(doesn't have to be IRM-just used that as an example). The ownership of those locos could be transferred to those museums selected or retained by the"Alco group".
Just my thoughts.

Wes