Railroad Forums 

• RS-2 Demonstrator #1500

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#252891  by truman

Several sources claim that the Boston and Maine liked ALCo RS-2 demonstrator #1500 so much that they bought it.
However, I seem to recall a roster that appeared years ago in Extra 2200 South which stated that demonstrator #1500 was actually acquired by a road somewhere in the midwest and that B&M's #1500 was actually the second #1500. Can anyone comfirm this (and perhaps tell the editor at Classic Trains) or am I already going senile?
 #253044  by jr

According to Diesel Locomotive Rosters, compiled from the Railroad Magazine series, Boston and Maine 1500 is listed with the note:

"1500 possibly Alco-GE demonstrator 1500".

jr

#255350  by truman

Additional information; A copy of a B&M description and classification book in my possession (and just rediscovered in the clutter) lists RS-2 1500 as built in 1948. In Jerry Pinkepank's Diesel Spotters Guide ( vol 1 and 2), the RS-2 is listed as being introduced in late 1946.
Could Alco have taken the demonstrator in, refurbished and zeroed the time on the unit, and then sold it to the B&M?