Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1522414  by Backshophoss

As was noted upthread,GE power is now the "normal" for SEOP/OPSE,they clear the 3rd rail and are rigged for MN cab signals/ACSES.
Selkirk was always a GE "Shop" dating back to PC era.
There's still the outside chance that CSX will sell off the freight service to the NY City,these units could be part of that deal.....
 #1525085  by AlKaLI

In my usual trips to the city, I've caught strings of cars (look to be outbound to Oak Point) as my LIRR train speeds under the NY Connecting tracks.

A thought occurred that maybe gregoryrice could answer. Does CSX block (sort) and cars for the NY&A at either Selkirk or Oak Point?
Or do cars for the NY&A come in any order and then they are sorted at Fresh Pond for either Points West, East or to Brooklyn?

Thanks.
 #1525086  by gregorygrice

AlKaLI wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am In my usual trips to the city, I've caught strings of cars (look to be outbound to Oak Point) as my LIRR train speeds under the NY Connecting tracks.

A thought occurred that maybe gregoryrice could answer. Does CSX block (sort) and cars for the NY&A at either Selkirk or Oak Point?
Or do cars for the NY&A come in any order and then they are sorted at Fresh Pond for either Points West, East or to Brooklyn?

Thanks.
Cars for NYA are sorted by NYA crews at Fresh Pond. Each place in the yard is for a certain service area/ group of customers. It is rare for CSX and Cross Harbor trains to be already blocked.
 #1525181  by Statkowski

I'd assume that Cross Harbor and CSX trains are already blocked. They're blocked for NYA.
 #1525511  by AlKaLI

Thanks, gregorygrice, for the replies. You answered the question exactly the first time.
I'm sure CSX or Cross Harbor block their trains for delivery to the NY&A. I was asking if CSX does any blocking of those NY&A cars for the various NY&A destinations and customers. As Gregory stated, the answer is no.

Today's inbound train was over the LIRR main at 7:05 AM. It had black CDEX gons, loaded CB flats with lumber, a few boxcars including a CN and then COFC flats with green containers stretching back past Queens Blvd.
 #1525528  by DogBert

One could say closest they get to blocks with inbound cars are the waste management and C&D cars, which are all generally (but not always) together. NY&A still has to sort them to the right train to the right destination though.
 #1525530  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:58 pm One could say closest they get to blocks with inbound cars are the waste management and C&D cars, which are all generally (but not always) together. NY&A still has to sort them to the right train to the right destination though.
Even those aren't together most of the time. When inbouds arrive a majority of the cars are sorted and placed in different areas of the yard. Each area of the yard is storage for different customers/ service areas. Most of the jobs serving customers then go to those areas of the yard to build their trains.
 #1526866  by ccutler

does the potato place in Mount Vernon still get service? you'd think this is their high season but I just passed it and didn't see any freight cars there
 #1527088  by ccutler

to answer my own question...there were 2 reefers spotted there this morning, so yes they are getting service.

there was also a centerbeam car in the lumber place in the Bronx.

that's my yearly trip on the Harlem line.
 #1530685  by expbusop

Twice this week saw freight on the link, stopped just short of Lincoln Ave crossing,stretching back past 149th. One day power was coupled to head end other day no power in sight. Mostly green trash cars some mixed freight. This was between 6 and 8 am. What would be the reasons for that?
 #1530719  by Backshophoss

Likely was told to wait by the Yardmaster while the switcher makes "room" in the yard for this freight.
Possibly the crew went "dead on the law"and waiting for a relief crew.
 #1534614  by expbusop

Today 6:20 am caught long freight on the link stretching from Lincoln Ave crossing with rear still on Metro North at Highbridge. Seems to have been running late surprised MN let them come down.