• CMSL?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ajt

Cape May Seashore Lines hasn't operated the past two weekends (at least; maybe more?). The M407 sits on the main at Rio Grande with several busted windows. Anyone know what's up?

by transit383

Odd. The Cape May Seashore Lines website (http://www.cmslrr.com) is no longer working and a Google search for "Cape May Seashore Lines" doesn't even turn up the official site.
  by DougD

Don't know why they didn't run but their official website is up and does not mention anything. FYI:They changed it to www.seashorelines.com a few months ago, maybe longer.

DougD

by Tom_E_Reynolds

When I went camping on August 27, CMSL didn't run either. I was very very upset, as I can't say when I'll ever get to Cape May again. (I live really far away in PA).

A guy waiting for the train said it didn't run the week before either (Aug 20th). He said the only thing we can do is call the number.

Seems like the "Thomas the Tank Engine event" drained them, and they haven't run since.

Its bad customer service not to change the message on the answering machine though, which rings and rings, and can be heard in the Cold Spring Village station. It would take all but 1 minute to change the message and atleast tel the patrons that the train won't run that day. Everyone has cell phones, and everyone at the stations call, and everyone is left high and dry.

When I got there, the station had 6 people waiting for a train that never came while the phone was ringing off the hook. I was camping 1/2 mile away, so I just went back.

I hope they can get back on their feet, as this is really bad; it is still the end of summer peak season for them, and they are not making any money.

Here are some shots of the non-running trains parked in Rio Grande:

by prt1607j

i know that they were having problems with the f units.. the northward facing unit would develope an air leak into the fuel line once it got runnin for a while, but then again startin them suckers in the mornin aint the easiest of tasks, but it shouldnt have crippled the RR like that... this is odd... we will have to wait and see

by DougD

I just called the ticket/train info line and got the following message
"Thank You for calling the Seashore Lines, All train service is temporarily suspended until further notice. We thank you for your patience, consideration and continued support."

DougD

by glennk419

An update from one of the South Jersey boards states that CMSL suspended service due to vandalism to the RDC's. Sometime before the weekend of August 27-28, several windows were broken on the RDC's. :( Given the success of the Thomas weekends, CMSL really did not need or deserve this kind of crap. I'd love to see the idiots who did this caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law (tying them to the tracks would work too).

There's no updates on the website, hopefully steps can be taken to avoid further damage and the Halloween trips will still run.

by JJMDiMunno

glennk419 wrote:An update from one of the South Jersey boards states that CMSL suspended service due to vandalism to the RDC's. Sometime before the weekend of August 27-28, several windows were broken on the RDC's. :( Given the success of the Thomas weekends, CMSL really did not need or deserve this kind of crap. I'd love to see the idiots who did this caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law (tying them to the tracks would work too).

There's no updates on the website, hopefully steps can be taken to avoid further damage and the Halloween trips will still run.
The Halloween and Christmas trips will run as scheduled...however, regular service for the rest of the season is annulled...too many broken windows on the RDC, as well as some other coaches I'm told...don't know which yet.

I hope the Tavern/Lounge car was not affected...

And the vandalism continues...

Sad news...

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

by njt4172

Too bad I don't live down there....If I saw these lemmings throwing rocks at any windows or vandalizing any piece of historic equipment I would go up to them, question them and then hold them until the local authorities showed up....If they wanted to fight me then I would get my baseball bat out of my car, take a swift blow and smash their head in!! I really have no tolerance any more for these kind of people!!! >:o >:o

by OCtrainguy

Yeah this is really unfortunate. I have used the CMSL to get into Cape May several times. Only a short walk to most of the places I visit.

I do hope they catch those who are responisble.

by chuchubob

The Halloween trip is cancelled.

http://www.seashorelines.com/SPECIAL.html

Bob

by Jtgshu

hate to say it, but the whole thing is really shady - why wouldn't they just put a sign out 3 weeks ago when the trains stopped running that it was due to the vandalism -

Maybe then they wouldn't have PO'ed so many potential passengers - hmmmmmmmmmmm they would be much more understanding if there was a reason, and hey, maybe they would have donated money towards fixing them - and why couldn't they take other non damaged windows out of a few other RDC's and at least have one or two cars run instead

Gotta wonder too, who exactly broke the windows -

Im raising the "BS" flag on this!!!! I think there is something else going on.......

by JJMDiMunno

Jtgshu wrote:hate to say it, but the whole thing is really shady - why wouldn't they just put a sign out 3 weeks ago when the trains stopped running that it was due to the vandalism -

Maybe then they wouldn't have PO'ed so many potential passengers - hmmmmmmmmmmm they would be much more understanding if there was a reason, and hey, maybe they would have donated money towards fixing them - and why couldn't they take other non damaged windows out of a few other RDC's and at least have one or two cars run instead

Gotta wonder too, who exactly broke the windows -

Im raising the "BS" flag on this!!!! I think there is something else going on.......
Well, I know for a fact that M407 is the only mechanically operative RDC at this time...the M410 isn't working, and the others are far from operative...

I do not know if there is also mechanical damage to the M407...all I know is that it was vandalized.

And remember guys...the CMSL does not have a giant full-time maintainance staff. Most of the work is done by a few people, and I don't believe some of them are on the payroll. Taking bad windows out of the 407 and replacing them with good windows from, say, the 410 would take some significant time. I also do not have a count on how many of the windows were broken, but I believe it to be most of them. I'm told that windows on some of the coaches are broken as well...this most likely means the URHS coaches. If the windows on the URHS cars are broken also, that leaves CMSL with not one piece of operative passenger equipment at this time. Can't run trains with no equipment.

All I have to say is that they really should lock up the 407 within the fence at Rio Grande at the end of the day, instead of leaving it on the main...takes a little extra work, but secures the equipment. Also in the future, some closed circuit video equipment tied to a recorder might not be a bad idea...then maybe we wouldn't have to worry who broke the windows...

Mike DiMunno

by NJTRailfan

Too bad us railfans don't have our version of a minute men projects like the operation going at the South of the Border because if I ever set up my lawn chair to sit down and look after the stuff and caught some punks breaking windows they'll wish they never met me. Too bad that this wasn't Texas because it's legal that if these thugs came in the middle of the night to steal or damage property you can shoot these paracites of society and treat them like the looters in New Orleans

by Ken W2KB

[quote="Jtgshu"]Gotta wonder too, who exactly broke the windows -
quote]

Could be someone along the tracks who dislikes the noise, whatever. Or could be simple vandalism. Same thing put the Morris County Central out of business at its location on the NYS&W, except there, the spare parts, tools, etc. storage buildings/cars were repeatedly torched.

Obviously the PR by the railroad could have been better handled.

I also recall when the URHS restored E-8 was completely sabatoged years ago when it was in the NJT shop. Supposedly one (or more) NJT shop personnel wanted "that piece of S*** out of here" and figured that destroying it's ability to operate would send it to the scrapper.