• Advice for buffs looking to go professional

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by AmtrakP32705

So for a long time I lurked these forums and applied for countless industry jobs. I eventually got one but medical issues ruined that, while I am trying to get back in someday I have a bit of advice that I never really saw here.....this industry is a very every man for himself industry, while you may be union brothers and know people well, if they have the opportunity they will NOT hesitate in throwing you under the bus....also, this industry also attracts people addicted to money and power and if you don't play their games they WILL do whatever it takes to get you to lose your job, especially corrupt union officials. Also the saying is that they don't like buffs, well alot of railroaders are buffs, you have to have a little bit of it in you to put up with the demands of the job I think. What the railroads want from my experience is they want you to be able to separate the passion from the work and understand what is at stake, millions of dollars of equipment and people's lives.