Railroad Forums 

• LIRR's Alco C-420's Hauling Freight

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1538254  by MACTRAXX

John: Good camcorder video along with the 1986 memories of LIRR freight service...

It is interesting to me that the LIRR only got two decades of service from the C420/L2 locomotives and that the last two were only 21 when they were retired (1968-1989)
and sold.

1986 brings back memories for anyone that is a Mets fan - and the Statue of Liberty Centennial over the July 4, 1986 Holiday along with the NY Liberty license plates...
(began issue July 1, 1986).

Any freight cars with either obscure railroads or fallen flags are good to see at anytime...

I am not alone looking forward for some more of your LIRR videos...MACTRAXX
 #1538265  by photobug56

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 pm John: Good camcorder video along with the 1986 memories of LIRR freight service...

It is interesting to me that the LIRR only got two decades of service from the C420/L2 locomotives and that the last two were only 21 when they were retired (1968-1989)
and sold.

1986 brings back memories for anyone that is a Mets fan - and the Statue of Liberty Centennial over the July 4, 1986 Holiday along with the NY Liberty license plates...
(began issue July 1, 1986).

Any freight cars with either obscure railroads or fallen flags are good to see at anytime...

I am not alone looking forward for some more of your LIRR videos...MACTRAXX
As a long time 'customer', that a loco would only last 20 years is not surprising. Years ago, I was riding an east bound rust bucket towards PJ, in the front car behind the usual 2 GP-38-2's. We were stuck a while at Greenlawn because the seat for the engineer had its 'pole' rust out under him and break, and it was difficult to operate the loco and train without a seat. That the GP-38-2's were so reliable overall amazed me, but the trains were mostly rusted out. Not washed or painted in what appeared to be decades. Even the DE's and DM's were not just filthy, they usually belched out a fair amount of dark smoke, especially in transition from 3rd rail. I usually sat in the first car EB, and on transition - if the engine started, you'd then ride through a cloud of smoke.

At least the GP's had a great sound for anyone standing on that front platform of the first car, never very loud, very little smoke.