Railroad Forums 

• Supervisor C&S

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1519459  by GAgolf

I have been offered a conditional offer for a C&S supervisor. I understand the training is 32 weeks and then assigned a location, what are the chances I will get my home state, and if not can salary positions bid on jobs to get closer to preferred state when offered? Any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks
 #1519471  by Safetee

Most people in junior management positions at major railroads don't have much of a say about where they work. The railroads understandably usually try to place people where the railroad needs them as opposed to where the employee wants to be.

If you want to work on the railroad and have some flexibility about being able to be posted to your preferred locations, a short line or commuter railroad would be your best bet.

Life on the large railroads for managers usually implies frequent relocation. If you can deal with the nomadic "railroad is my home" life style, the financial rewards and related benefits will be very good.
 #1519503  by GAgolf

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind the relocation it's just the uncertainty of not knowing until training is over.

Thanks again
 #1519539  by ExCon90

I recall a conversation I had with an N&W retiree who had once been told he was to be transferred to Bluefield. He commented that he wasn't keen on going there and was told, "son, your paycheck's gonna be in Bluefield." A co-worker of mine on the PRR who was reluctant to be moved from Cincinnati to Philadelphia was told "on Monday your job is in Philadelphia." Someone else had already been told to report to Cincinnati on Monday. Probably characteristic on all railroads, as Safetee points out. I know that on the PRR being moved around was regarded as a way of learning the railroad--probably also typical among railroads. All the more reason to pick a regional operation.
 #1520160  by newpylong

All true but MOW, C&S, Carmen, etc do not move around as much as the Transportation division employees.