Railroad Forums 

• Used and Unused Infrastructure at Haymarket

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1512368  by ThinkBoston

Anyone with drawings of what currently exists at Haymarket Square? With as many as 6 tracks at one point, I'm wanting to know how much of those resources have been destroyed permanently with all of the modern alterations that have occurred. I'm guessing the Big Dig was an opportunity to wipe out the last vestiges of idle rail infrastructure at that locale.

I know what is active today, so please focus on what might remain but isn't visually apparent. Thank you.
 #1512379  by MBTA3247

Of the 6 tracks that were once there, only the center pair of Green Line tracks are gone. The current Green Line platforms occupy the old track berths in the formerly 4-track straightaway south of where the original station had been. I think there are still remnants of platforms at what had been the north end of the station, but otherwise most of the original station was wiped out when the T built the current track-level lobby. AFAIK, the Big Dig had nothing to do with those changes.
 #1512399  by ThinkBoston

MBTA3247 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:52 am Of the 6 tracks that were once there, only the center pair of Green Line tracks are gone. The current Green Line platforms occupy the old track berths in the formerly 4-track straightaway south of where the original station had been. I think there are still remnants of platforms at what had been the north end of the station, but otherwise most of the original station was wiped out when the T built the current track-level lobby. AFAIK, the Big Dig had nothing to do with those changes.
Thanks, MBTA3247.
Is it safe to say that the structural space is all still there, just reconfigured within? And do you know how far north out of the original station the six track wide tunnel exists?
Attachments:
Haymarket.jpg
Haymarket.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
 #1512428  by MBTA3247

ThinkBoston wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am Is it safe to say that the structural space is all still there, just reconfigured within?
Yes (or at least mostly).
And do you know how far north out of the original station the six track wide tunnel exists?
Not very far at all, the new tunnel built for the North Station Superstation starts pretty close to the old station.