Railroad Forums 

• Apollo Question(s)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1507660  by XC Tower

Hello,
Where was the point of origin or destination on these trains? Were they strictly TOFC?
Interesting Side Note: I was checking out photos of the Lehigh Valley's locomotive roster to see a crew change at Tifft Junction taking place during the early 1970's with a N&W crew waiting for the LV guys to climb down out of the trio of 4-axle ALCO's on the westbound Apollo......There sat with the N&W crew, a dear long-retired friend who started with NKP steam back in the 1950's! So nice to see a photo capturing the moment of a great guy from that era...

Thanks,

XC
 #1508807  by XC Tower

Thank you for the information regarding the Apollo....
A couple of more questions, if you will: When and why did the switch of road power occur at Tifft Junction in Buffalo? Memory is a fuzzy thing as years go by, but I recall seeing Lehigh Valley locomotives and cabooses regularly coming over the N &W's (ex-NKP) main over the street-running of West 19th Street in Erie, PA during the early 1970's, everything from the big 6-axle ALCO's to the 4-axles....(I don't ever recall any RS-3's or 4-axle EMD's of the LV) Was there any agreement between the Lehigh Valley and N & W of the use of each other's power on this train? I believe through reading that the N &W's power only went as far as Sayre, Pa on the Apollo...The Lehigh's probably went on all the way to Oak Island, NJ...
I appreciate all the shared information about a fascinating railroad whose power, cabooses, and rolling stock came passing through right down the middle of the street not far from my home...(Although during early Conrail (ughhh) this switched to the ex-NYC....I have one memory of trying to chase one of the LV's GE U23B's in the lead of an eb across the city on my motorcycle....Young guy on his "bike" seeing a locomotive of one of his favorite railroads rolling through town = a memory of one wild fast ride across town!....I will leave the rest of it to the imagination...)

XC

XC
 #1521753  by roc

After 1971 (?) ALCo six-axle power was no longer allowed west of Sayre.

The Apollos hit their stride with the arrival of the four GP-38ACs and four U23s.
 #1521771  by TB Diamond

The Alco C628 locomotives were banned west of Van Etten Jct. in 1973.

They remained authorized for movement Sayre-Ithaca after that date.