Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station turnaround for Empire Connection?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1503092  by wborys

I'm curious as to the workings of the Amtrak Empire Connection in New York. It travels south down the Hudson River into Manhattan, then terminates in Penn Station. Where (or how) does it convert from Diesel to Electric power? And where (or how) do the locomotives move to the front of the trainset to make the return trip. Thanks...
 #1503093  by Greg Moore

Just outside the tunnel to the Empire connection the 3rd rail starts (there's also catenary for emergency use).

That's where the switch over is made.
Once the trains are unloaded, they move to Sunnyside, looped, I believe refueled and brought back into Penn.

I can't recall if restocking the cafe cars on the longer routes is still done in Sunnyside or has been moved directly into Penn (I've read both)
 #1503110  by JamesRR

wborys wrote:thanks for the timely reply.
Can I assume the locomotives are both electric and diesel-electric?
Yes, they are AMD-103 P32 dual-modes - electric pickup via 3rd rail and diesel-electric.
 #1503480  by ryanov

Greg Moore wrote:Just outside the tunnel to the Empire connection the 3rd rail starts (there's also catenary for emergency use).
I was on a train in the last year that used it, from the report the crew gave -- a motor was sent out to retrieve our train and pull it into Penn Station (I can't recall whether I took a look after alighting from the train).
 #1503485  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote:Just outside the tunnel to the Empire connection the 3rd rail starts (there's also catenary for emergency use).

That's where the switch over is made.
Once the trains are unloaded, they move to Sunnyside, looped, I believe refueled and brought back into Penn.

I can't recall if restocking the cafe cars on the longer routes is still done in Sunnyside or has been moved directly into Penn (I've read both)
No refuel in Sunnyside all trains are filled or topped off in Albany. The change over to third rail is at CP Empire, basically the U section of the Empire tunnel. Coming north out of the station we start once we he clear A interlocking. Total time on third rail is less than a mile.

The entire section of railroad from CP Empire to MNRR is the Empire connection, not just the tunnel.

I believe the cafes are stocked in Sunnyside. There used to be one or two that were stocked out of Penn. Back in the day we would get in route issues from the Penn commissary.
 #1503518  by jhdeasy

Greg Moore wrote:
Based on my observation last time I was at Sunnyside Yard (10/05/2018) with MOUNT VERNON on train 69, Adirondack’s cafe car is stocked at Sunnyside Yard by commissary contractor.

I’m uncertain if the Cafe car service attendant boards at Sunnyside Yard to sign for inventory delivered, or if he boards at Penn Station.
 #1503684  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Regarding the operations to the yard, the dual mode locomotives continue using third rail until the other side of the tunnel. Once out of the tunnel we switch to diesel as there is only a very short section of third rail on the yard lead at F interlocking where the yard leads (Loop 1 & Loop 2) leave the main line. The trains go around the giant loop and into the yard and then the reverse when heading west for the station.

Occasionally when there's a shortage of dual modes, a P42 has been used right into NYP.
 #1503705  by Acela150

Greg Moore wrote: I can't recall if restocking the cafe cars on the longer routes is still done in Sunnyside or has been moved directly into Penn (I've read both)
Very few Empire trains have cafe service. Any trains that go past Albany have cafe service. Otherwise no cafe service.
 #1503750  by Greg Moore

Acela150 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote: I can't recall if restocking the cafe cars on the longer routes is still done in Sunnyside or has been moved directly into Penn (I've read both)
Very few Empire trains have cafe service. Any trains that go past Albany have cafe service. Otherwise no cafe service.
Hence why I said, "longer routes".
 #1508208  by Railjunkie

danib62 wrote:Speeds on 3rd rail power are limited on the P-32s, right?
I do remember my instructor telling me that the speed is limited, 60mph sticks in my head. Never had a need to worry about it. We only use 3rd rail to get into and out of Penn. MAS in the Empire tunnel is 25mph. I dont know about the tubes over to Sunnyside. We dont use 3rd rail on Metro North.
 #1508230  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote:
danib62 wrote:Speeds on 3rd rail power are limited on the P-32s, right?
I do remember my instructor telling me that the speed is limited, 60mph sticks in my head. Never had a need to worry about it. We only use 3rd rail to get into and out of Penn. MAS in the Empire tunnel is 25mph. I dont know about the tubes over to Sunnyside. We dont use 3rd rail on Metro North.
Those rails are over-running like on the LIRR, right? Or are they over-running like w/Metro North?
 #1508231  by DutchRailnut

The P32acdm max speed in electric was originally 45 mph but upgraded to 60 mph after about two years.