Railroad Forums 

• Chances Summer Service is cut again on the NJCL this summer?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1510432  by EuroStar

SecaucusJunction wrote:Bring back the Bergen Shore Express!
I was not around when that one ran, but that will never happen now that Secaucus Junction exists allowing NJT to run one train from NYP and get the Bergen County riders to switch to it at Secaucus. Was the train all that well patronized when it ran?
 #1510465  by SecaucusJunction

From what I remember, on sunny weekends, they’d use 10+ cars worth and possible second sections. On rainy weekends, not so much.

Right now, from Bergen County to shore points is 3+ hours, 2 transfers, your arm and leg, and a prayer than none of the trains are cancelled. No one is gonna do that. You’re better off braving the parkway.
 #1511680  by ryanov

What is currently happening is worse than ever before, IMO: every weekend, some trains are cancelled, generally ~30 minutes before the departure. Only occasionally more. So, you can go down there, but you have no idea what time you'll definitely be able to come back.
 #1511709  by Yankees1

It's completely brutal so far this year. However, people are adapting. Most people I know will take the direct train down on Friday and then instead of leaving Sunday, take an early direct train Monday. The day trippers I've talked to are looking forward to the hourly shuttles starting next weekend, but most know a good bar near their station if a train gets cancelled. If there's one line where you'd want you're summer weekend train to be cancelled, it's the NJCL.
Being 100% real though, I really think this Fall through next Summer will be a pivotal period to see if NJT can turn a corner. More engineers graduating, most equipment PTC installed, no more excuses.
 #1520940  by Tadman

How on earth are there crew shortages? This isn't new, it's been going on for a few years now. With the layoffs on the class 1's resulting from PSR, there should be surplus crews in the country. Are they just not offering competitive packages or relocations?
 #1520961  by ExCon90

Tadman wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 am How on earth are there crew shortages? This isn't new, it's been going on for a few years now. With the layoffs on the class 1's resulting from PSR, there should be surplus crews in the country. Are they just not offering competitive packages or relocations?
Could be the cost of living in the New York metro area--a financial shock for anyone moving there from some parts of the country at their own expense in order to start at the bottom of the roster. And qualifying on the NJT route network is no small matter--I think they either recommend or require that crews be qualified everywhere to provide flexibility in assignments.
 #1523731  by ryanov

Went down the shore a number of times this summer and multiple times had surprise 60-90 minutes added to my trip because of cancelled trains. One time, the Long Branch to NY train was cancelled, so I arrived in Long Branch with basically nothing to do for 90 minutes.

It was a very unpleasant summer.