Railroad Forums 

• Model Railroad project layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1494256  by BobLI

After seeing the project layout in the January issue I am a bit disappointed. This just doesn’t seem to be on the par as with other project layouts in the past. Any comments?
 #1494297  by Backshophoss

They seem to cycle between 3 kind of projects, Display layout,1: A few steps above a "figure 8" type layout, a little switching on 1-3 sidings.
2:A switching layout, based on some prototype RR switching district or major industry switching,
3: A exisiting layout Expansion or Upgrade,needing to add or change part of the exisiting layout to add switching.
 #1494374  by CNJ999

I agree that the Canyons project layout is particularly lackluster in comparison to many of MR's previous project layouts. It really doesn't seem to have much operating purpose. I really don't consider the current staff as near so creative as pre-2000 individual came up with original ideas for layouts back in the day and that is why the new guy give us these disappointing examples currently. Even a beginner would tire of the Canyon's layout in short order in my opinion.

CNJ999
 #1494980  by umtrr-author

I was also underwhelmed by MR's latest choice.

In a somewhat related story, a couple of my friends were so sick and tired of reading about MR's "Beer Line" that I couldn't resist lettering a car "Beer Line" for each of them :-D . One of them was placed on one friend's large layout and he didn't find it for hours.