Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1180925  by RearOfSignal

Off the top of my head the only mainline switches with moveable frogs that are not high-speed crossovers are at CP 10 on the Hudson. Do the switches at CP 109 have moveable frogs or is this speculation? It's hard to tell while on moving train on another track.
 #1181583  by RearOfSignal

So high speed switches? Ok. It seems like I saw a switch being installed 2 to 1 going north? My eyes could have tricked me, but it was mentioned only switches from 2-4 and 1-3? I'll have to take another look tomorrow. I keep forgetting.
 #1181618  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:your correct, I guess their diverting from original plan.
Ok so I'm not seeing stuff, thanks.

I also looked somewhere on the MTA website about future capital budget and plans, it had mentioned a redesign of Woodlawn Jct. (CP 112), not just replacing parts. I wonder if this ever does happen if it would be possible to add another flyover so Eastward New Haven trains could go to the red line from Harlem track 1 and not have to crossover to track 3 and hold the NWP locals. But I'm putting the horse before the cart.
 #1181735  by Clean Cab

RearOfSignal wrote:So high speed switches? Ok. It seems like I saw a switch being installed 2 to 1 going north? My eyes could have tricked me, but it was mentioned only switches from 2-4 and 1-3? I'll have to take another look tomorrow. I keep forgetting.

I had heard the original plan was to have a 45 MPH universal interlocking. But that was a few years ago and the plans could have changed.
 #1351544  by DutchRailnut

to many other projects after FRA crackdown.
 #1487630  by RearOfSignal

The long delayed CP 109 will go into service very early this Saturday morning. I bet all the buffs will be out well before sunrise for this one.