Railroad Forums 

• Navigating a Transfer

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1470547  by GSC

I'm not a regular NJT traveler, so I have some questions.

I plan on an excursion to Hoboken, starting at preferably Bradley Beach, or Long Branch. I find few direct trains to Hoboken from Bradley Beach, most requiring a transfer at either Newark or Secaucus. How hard is it to transfer? I'm bringing along grandchildren for the trip, with the built-in chaos that includes.

Looking for mid-morning departure from Bradley Beach, mid to late afternoon return from Hoboken.

I looked over NJT's schedules and they read like stereo instructions. I tried the "start from" and "destination" apps and they don't give me the info I want. The 2300-series trains allege one-seat traveling, but where are the 2300s on the timetable?

I know some of you are seasoned veterans. Thanks in advance for any help.
 #1470575  by CNJGeep

There are only a few 2300-series trains anymore.
2300 and 2312 east, 2303 and 2313 west. One morning round trip and one afternoon round trip. Most of the Hoboken trains are renumbered to the 2600-series and leave from Long Branch in the AM peak. There is no mid-day direct service.
 #1470605  by NY&LB

Transfer at Newark is simple, maybe just a platform change but few options
Secaucus is a pain, up one level, through fare gates - must keep and swipe your ticket, and then down to the lower level.
And the fare is different via Newark and via Secaucus!!!!!
 #1470655  by GSC

Thank you for the info.

"Take mass transit" they say. But first, a few loops to jump through.

Maybe PATH from Newark to Hoboken instead. Time to study the options here.

The plan is to spend a day with the grandkids, ride a train to Hoboken, have lunch and look over at the city for a few hours, maybe even a ferry ride.

Having driven 18-wheelers, buses, school buses, and taxis for a good portion of my working life, I just don't want to drive anywhere anymore.

Thanks again guys.
 #1470672  by andrewjw

GSC wrote:Thank you for the info.

"Take mass transit" they say. But first, a few loops to jump through.

Maybe PATH from Newark to Hoboken instead. Time to study the options here.

The plan is to spend a day with the grandkids, ride a train to Hoboken, have lunch and look over at the city for a few hours, maybe even a ferry ride.

Having driven 18-wheelers, buses, school buses, and taxis for a good portion of my working life, I just don't want to drive anywhere anymore.

Thanks again guys.
If you're not particular about where you land in the Hoboken/Jersey City area, the PATH from Newark to WTC would let you out at Exchange Place, which has perfectly fine views of the city.
 #1470682  by ExCon90

By all means take a ferry ride -- maybe Hoboken to Manhattan, then to Exchange Place to connect with PATH (less ferry service on weekends, if that's when you're going, but there's still service). On no account leave without taking the kids on a ferry.
 #1470983  by GSC

I had in mind to do a little railfanning at Hoboken. I have always been fascinated by old-style terminals and the maze of trackage, and Hoboken is the last of this type.

Definitely a ferry ride, no matter from where. The kids have never done this, even been on a boat, so it has to be done.

Thanks for the info, guys!
 #1471087  by Graeme Salt

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Hoboken for any railfan - it's a real gem (and I'm under no illusion that regular commuters and the train operators won't see it that way!) I've been a rail enthusiast for 40 years but made my first ever visit to the US back in February and - bizarre as it may sound, given all the country has to offer - Hoboken terminal was the first place I wanted to visit. Apart from the "living museum" atmosphere of the place, just the scale of diesel-hauled passenger train operation (and still using some classic power too, the 50 year old geeps are great) is something to behold for a European enthusiast - it's no exaggeration to say that the peak period at Hoboken probably sees as many diesel locomotives active on passenger trains as the entire British Isles do in a day!
 #1471305  by MACTRAXX

GSC (and Everyone:)

There used to be a title for trains that operated straight through to Hoboken from the NJCL and
RVL via Newark Penn Station: "Waterfront Connection" service...

I checked the current North Jersey Coast Line schedule and will suggest these two weekday AM
trains that run directly to Hoboken if you plan on spending the prime daytime hours there.

Long Branch should be the preferred starting point over Bradley Beach which in itself would
eliminate having to change trains at LB - and offer more direct trains that terminate there.

#2606 from Long Branch leaves at 6:49 AM - arrives HOB at 8:23 AM
Connecting BHJ-LB train #4306 stops at Bradley Beach 6:27 AM.

#2608 from Long Branch leaves at 7:46 AM - arrives HOB at 9:15 AM.
Connects at LB from train #3326 originating at BHJ - stops at Bradley Beach 7:16 AM.
13 minute change of trains at Long Branch between 7:33 and 7:46 AM.

There are three earlier NJCL trains terminating at HOB: 6:53 AM from BHJ (4:49-BB 5:10 AM)
7:28 (Leaves LB at 6:05 AM) and 7:47 AM (Leaves LB at 6:23 AM) that offer direct service.

These afternoon NJCL trains begin their runs at Hoboken along with stops:

#2303 - 2:12 PM - Woodbridge to Bay Head Junction (arrives Bradley Beach at 3:57 PM)
#2605 - 4:20 PM - Woodbridge to Long Branch
#2607 - 4:55 PM - Aberdeen/Matawan to Long Branch
#2609 - 5:22 PM - South Amboy to Long Branch
#2611 - 5:43 PM - Woodbridge to Long Branch
#2313 - 6:21 PM - Woodbridge to Bay Head Junction (arrives Bradley Beach at 8:01 PM)
All four of the trains terminating at Long Branch have Bay Head trains that run behind them.
These connections look to be about 15 minutes or less at LB.

It pays to avoid having to take PATH from Newark Penn Station or changing trains at Secaucus
Junction if your destination for the day will be Hoboken Terminal. There is a hassle factor for
any transfers along with extra (PATH) or higher (SEC) fares compared to going direct to HOB.

Unfortunately there is currently no "Waterfront Connection" trains operating on weekends and
major holidays operating from either the NJCL or RVL through to Hoboken. As recently as just
a few years ago there was Raritan Valley trains operating to Hoboken every two hours all day
on weekends. A transfer (as previously mentioned) at NWK or SEC is required on weekends.

Weekdays still have the advantage of offering through HOB service direct from the NJCL.

I plotted this out so I can also refer to which weekday NJCL trains run to Hoboken...MACTRAXX