Railroad Forums 

• Names of the various yards and locations

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1470274  by train2

In a few threads, here and on other forums, I see names given to certain yards. I am not up to speed on each by name. Where are each of the yards and what are they named? If they have peoples names associated with them it is harder to locate exactly where people are talking about as opposed to the yard at 30th street or the yard a wayne shops, etc.

I know there is yard/shop near Malvern, one near Overbrook, one at 30th street and the Wayne yards. Others?
 #1470277  by mcgrath618

The shop near Malvern is called Frazier. It's named after the town on the Main Line that it's located in. It's mostly a repair shop for Push-Pulls.
Overbrook yards is just named Overbrook yards. They mostly repair Bomby coaches and MUs.
30th Street just has a yard on the SEPTA side, called Powelton Yards. However, Amtrak has a repair shop below on their half.
Wayne Electric Repair Shop is, at least I think, SEPTA's largest repair facility. They kinda do everything there. The yard is called Roberts Yard.
Chestnut Hill East, Trenton, West Trenton, and Newark all have small storage yards, where they just tend to store trains for use for the next day.
 #1470283  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote:The shop near Malvern is called Frazier. It's named after the town on the Main Line that it's located in.
Minor correction: the town and yards are called Frazer, w/o an "i". http://www.frazeryard.com

NBD, it happens all the time, like the confusion between Strafford and Stratford. (FWIW I lived in Strafford for several years. We'd regularly get ads and catalogs in the mail intended for Stratford. Pretty amazing when you consider they're not even in the same state! :P )
 #1470285  by MACTRAXX

T2 and MCG:

Frazer Shops are between Malvern and Exton and are named for that Chester County town.
The push pull trains are based and maintained there.

Overbrook Yard and Shop Complex maintains and stores MU cars there. Powelton Yard is just
west of 30th Street Station. There is layover space at Suburban Station on Tracks 0,5,6 and 7.

Wayne Electric car shop and storage yard was inherited from the Reading and was their prime
maintenance facility for the RDG MU fleet. Roberts Yard and Liberty Yard (for RRD maintenance)
are two separate adjacent facilities.

Yards on lines: Media, West Trenton, Lansdale, Doylestown and lay up tracks at Warminster and
at Elm Street in Norristown.

Trenton has limited lay over track space for SEPTA RRD trains. There is no RRD yard facility on
the Wilmington-Newark Line.

Chestnut Hill East has a yard and Chestnut Hill West has layover track space but is not used for
overnight layover of equipment thanks to NIMBY complaints of train noise. This was one of the
prime reasons that push pull trains no longer run to or are stored overnight in Doylestown.

This should answer the OP question...MACTRAXX
 #1470289  by train2

Thanks for the reply. One thing I have noticed about Septa is they have almost no yards at the ends of the lines. That is pretty unique. Think of most other commuter operations they have a yard at the end of very major line to store trains overnight.

With the exception of W. Trenton and the Chestnut Hill line, and to a lesser extent Frazer, I am guessing almost all the trains return toward the center city at the end of the day (and run out of the city to start they day)? That is a lot of miles to move equipment and more importantly crew time to make these moves. Do most crew sign up her the center city yards then?
 #1470303  by CNJGeep

Doylestown has a yard
Lansdale has a yard
West Trenton has a yard
Norristown has a yard
Warminster has a siding that passes for a yard
Trenton has a few places equipment gets squirreled away
Media has a yard
Frazer is a yard not attached to a station
 #1470328  by R36 Combine Coach

CNJGeep wrote:Trenton has a few places equipment gets squirreled away
Reportedly SEPTA is looking into NJT's old Barracks Yard (a small set of sidings on the NEC east of the station) for additional storage. NJT moved to Morrisville in 2004.
 #1470342  by tgolanos

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:Trenton has a few places equipment gets squirreled away
Reportedly SEPTA is looking into NJT's old Barracks Yard (a small set of sidings on the NEC east of the station) for additional storage. NJT moved to Morrisville in 2004.
I thought Barracks flooded frequently and that's why NJT was happy to move out.
 #1470450  by ExCon90

Wilmington has no yard in use by SEPTA, no doubt because one can easily imagine the uproar at any proposal for Pennsylvania to pay for a yard in Delaware -- all trains deadhead back to Phila. at night and from Phila. in the morning. I think that at one time there was a similar issue between NJ and PA about providing a yard for NJT in Morrisville, but it was resolved somehow.
 #1470459  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote:Wilmington has no yard in use by SEPTA, no doubt because one can easily imagine the uproar at any proposal for Pennsylvania to pay for a yard in Delaware -- all trains deadhead back to Phila. at night and from Phila. in the morning. I think that at one time there was a similar issue between NJ and PA about providing a yard for NJT in Morrisville, but it was resolved somehow.
Delaware pays SEPTA to operate train service down there and also funds any infrastructure that is used to provide that service (which is why they paid for a few of the SLVs). If they saw fit to build a layup yard somewhere in Delaware or rent some space in Amtrak's Wilmington Shop or Norfolk Southern's Newark Yard, they'd be ones footing the bill.

The reason people made a big stink about NJT building a yard in Morrisville was because it was NJT who was paying for it and what made it worse was that it was for non-revenue movements.
 #1470490  by R36 Combine Coach

ekt8750 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:The reason people made a big stink about NJT building a yard in Morrisville was because it was NJT who was paying for it and what made it worse was that it was for non-revenue movements.
NJT has quite a few out-of-state facilities: Morrisville, Suffern, Woodbine yard facilities, Suffern Station (owned and operated by NJT), plus bus storage facilities in Midtown. Odd for a state agency to own/control property outside the state.
 #1470493  by andrewjw

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:The reason people made a big stink about NJT building a yard in Morrisville was because it was NJT who was paying for it and what made it worse was that it was for non-revenue movements.
NJT has quite a few out-of-state facilities: Morrisville, Suffern, Woodbine yard facilities, Suffern Station (owned and operated by NJT), plus bus storage facilities in Midtown. Odd for a state agency to own/control property outside the state.
Don't forget Sunnyside?
 #1470501  by R36 Combine Coach

andrewjw wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
Don't forget Sunnyside?
AMTK-owned though, but beyond the scope of the topic now. Were there ever plans for SEPTA to use Morrisville to some degree?
 #1470520  by mcgrath618

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
andrewjw wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
Don't forget Sunnyside?
AMTK-owned though, but beyond the scope of the topic now. Were there ever plans for SEPTA to use Morrisville to some degree?
I believe there are currently some plans on the table for them to use it.
 #1470685  by ChesterValley

train2 wrote:Thanks for the reply. One thing I have noticed about Septa is they have almost no yards at the ends of the lines. That is pretty unique. Think of most other commuter operations they have a yard at the end of very major line to store trains overnight.

With the exception of W. Trenton and the Chestnut Hill line, and to a lesser extent Frazer, I am guessing almost all the trains return toward the center city at the end of the day (and run out of the city to start they day)? That is a lot of miles to move equipment and more importantly crew time to make these moves. Do most crew sign up her the center city yards then?
From what I was hearing between conductors, yes. Most sign up for Wayne Junction over Malvern/Frazer yards for openings.