Railroad Forums 

• Train Dispatchers

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1464066  by Noel Weaver

The Train Dispatchers who control movements on Florida East Coast tracks are now employed by the Florida Dispatch Company which is owned and controlled by both the Florida East Coast Railway and by FEC Industries ie Brightline. The logic here is that they are not employees of either railway and will show no bias of favoritism toward either operation. I think this makes sense. If you are in these parts you might hear on your scanner the letter FDC when the dispatcher is talking to a train.
Noel Weaver
 #1473885  by mmi16

Much ado about nothing.

When push gets to shove, who cries loudest and longest will win out as has always happened.
 #1484729  by Engineer Spike

Vermont Railway used a company for a while which dispatched several shortlines. Part of the catch was that since they worked for a non railroad company, they could get away from paying railroad retirement.
 #1484782  by Noel Weaver

As I understand it the way this is set up is something like Conrail Shared Assets, owned by both the Florida East Coast and All Aboard Florida. I assume it is working out all right as I have not heard much of anything negative from their folks from other sources.
Noel Weaver
 #1520433  by mmi16

Noel Weaver wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm As I understand it the way this is set up is something like Conrail Shared Assets, owned by both the Florida East Coast and All Aboard Florida. I assume it is working out all right as I have not heard much of anything negative from their folks from other sources.
Noel Weaver
Have you heard if the Dispatchers are in or out of the Railroad Retirement System. To a short sighted individual being moved to SSI from RRB will result in a immediate increase in take home - as RRB withholding is higher than SSA. When it comes Retirement time, SSA benefits are significantly lower than RRB.

I have now been retired for approaching 3 years with RRB benefits, along with a small company pension for the years I was a non-contract company employee. Between the two, I am clearing more than I did when I was working.
 #1522279  by fire5506

Statkowski wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:55 pm I believe there's a ten-year lock-in for RRB.
You are vested in 5 years for RRB. It used to be 10 years but it was changed to 5.
 #1525320  by mmi16

fire5506 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 pm
Statkowski wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:55 pm I believe there's a ten-year lock-in for RRB.
You are vested in 5 years for RRB. It used to be 10 years but it was changed to 5.
There is no 'double dipping' with SSI and RRB - you will get one or the other when you retire.

If memory serves, and it may not, up until Reagan changed the IRS laws around double dipping was legal - many retired from the railroad and then took a SSI job for 10 years to get those benefits in addition to RRB.
 #1525352  by fire5506

mmi16 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 pm
fire5506 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 pm
There is no 'double dipping' with SSI and RRB - you will get one or the other when you retire.

If memory serves, and it may not, up until Reagan changed the IRS laws around double dipping was legal - many retired from the railroad and then took a SSI job for 10 years to get those benefits in addition to RRB.
Once you are vested in RRB you will get your RRB when you retire whether you retire from SSI or RRB. You have paid into both of them. Tier 1 is SSI, tier 2 is RRB. If you retire from RRB then you get a check from RRB, if you retire from SSI then you get a check from SSI but your retirement from both will be in that check. At one time you could get a check from both RRB and SSI, but that was changed to you only getting a check from one or the other with both included in that check.
If you leave(left) RRB before you were vested then you lose the tier 2 payment. If you return to RRB before you retire then you get the tier 2 back.
I just spent a day at the RRB office 2 months ago as I'm getting ready to pull the pin this coming year. I'll have 37 1/2 years when I pull the pin.