Railroad Forums 

• Pemberton Branch "Back Road" Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1463359  by liftedjeep

Trains have not rolled past Mt Holly in over 30 years since the tracks from Madison Ave in Mt Holly to Pemberton were removed in the Spring of 1984. However, much of the former line to Bay Head Jct still remains in the Pemberton area. The Pemberton station (once known as North Pemberton) still exists, and was restored in 1999:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3703186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The all concrete shelter at Ewansville still stands, and is now used as a private storage shed:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4637706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now my questions....

1) The station that once existed in Vincentown was heavily renovated and eventually turned into a private office by a local company. A picture of it taken in the 90s appears in an issue of the "High Line" Vol 14. It was located on Main Street, just north of town. Does anyone recall seeing the station then, or in recent years? Does it actually still exist? I've been through Vincentown within the past year and could not find the former station.

2) Supposedly the station that once served Birmingham Jct was relocated in the 70s, several miles away to the side of Arney's Mount where it served as a snack bar for an antique shop complex. Again, does anyone recall ever seeing the Birmingham station in its new location? Does it still exist?

Any help on this matter, or any info or stories from the PRR's "Back Road" would most definitely be appreciated!
Ben
 #1463418  by CJPat

The old South Toms River Station still exists. it was relocated just a stones throw away and is now used as a house. It is located at 239 Halliard Ave, Beechwood, NJ. just off of Rt 9 by-way (Rt By-way used to be the Pennsy ROW).

Even after the Pennsy abandoned the access to Seaside (after the bay bridge mysteriously caught fire in 1946), the Pennsy continued to operate in that area. Later in the 1950's, the Garden State Parkway came through and the Pennsy pulled their operation further back to a freight house that was located immediately west and just off the GSP (exit 80). You can see the little S shaped road to the west of the GSP (and in alignment with the Rt 9 by-way) named appropriately enough "Railroad Ave". I believe the northwestern length of this road (very short) was the former ROW itself. Railroad Ave turns into 1st Ave. I think they operated that way into the 1960's, before pulling further back (to Whiting Jnctn or even Pemberton (not sure as to the progression of the pullback).
 #1463470  by pumpers

The North Pemberton station was not on the "back road" - it was on what became for a while the Pembertown and Hightstown (P&H). The "back road" to Bay Head crossed Hanover St farther south, just north of the Pemberton Bypass, by Burger King and Magnolia St I think. I would guess there was a station around there. Anyone know if there was and where?
 #1463479  by liftedjeep

pumpers wrote:The North Pemberton station was not on the "back road" - it was on what became for a while the Pembertown and Hightstown (P&H). The "back road" to Bay Head crossed Hanover St farther south, just north of the Pemberton Bypass, by Burger King and Magnolia St I think. I would guess there was a station around there. Anyone know if there was and where?
There was a station in that vicinity of the now Burger King. It was known as South Pemberton, and was the first stop after Birmingham Jct on the way to Bay Head. I've been told its foundation could be found in the overgrowth there, long after the station was gone. I have yet to come across any pictures of South Pemberton, or even any info on when it disappeared.
Ben
 #1463527  by R&DB

Interesting that it is marked on the map as New Jersey Southern, (who built and operated it) and it ended up in PRR hands and not CRRNJ.
 #1463600  by pumpers

Yes, I don't know if NJ Southern only built the Whiting to Birmingham Jct (just west of SOuth Pemberton), or if they built the whole piece all the way to Mt Holly and/or beyond. I saw it all explained somewhere once, but who knows where!
 #1463601  by pumpers

Yes, I don't know if NJ Southern only built the Whiting to Birmingham Jct (just west of SOuth Pemberton), or if they built the whole piece all the way to Mt Holly and/or beyond. I saw it all explained somewhere once, but who knows where!
 #1463608  by GSC

CJPat wrote:The old South Toms River Station still exists. it was relocated just a stones throw away and is now used as a house. It is located at 239 Halliard Ave, Beechwood, NJ. just off of Rt 9 by-way (Rt By-way used to be the Pennsy ROW).

Even after the Pennsy abandoned the access to Seaside (after the bay bridge mysteriously caught fire in 1946), the Pennsy continued to operate in that area. Later in the 1950's, the Garden State Parkway came through and the Pennsy pulled their operation further back to a freight house that was located immediately west and just off the GSP (exit 80). You can see the little S shaped road to the west of the GSP (and in alignment with the Rt 9 by-way) named appropriately enough "Railroad Ave". I believe the northwestern length of this road (very short) was the former ROW itself. Railroad Ave turns into 1st Ave. I think they operated that way into the 1960's, before pulling further back (to Whiting Jnctn or even Pemberton (not sure as to the progression of the pullback).
Just off the Parkway on the Rt 9 Pennsy ROW, there is a pump house or similar structure that looks very railroady. What was it previously?
 #1463623  by pumpers

Seems the Pemberton and NY only went as far west as Birmgingham Jct (the same as Pemberton Jct in some references?). Not sure when it was built and how NJ Southern came to control it, but it was sold in foreclosure in March 1879 to interests who conveyed it to the Pemberton and Sea Shore Railroad in Dec 1879, which in 1883 was consolidated into the Philadelphia and Long Branch Railroad(a PRR entity which lasted until the end, I believe). http://rnetzlof.pennsyrr.com/corphist/p_a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EDIT: seems the Pemberton & NY was built in 1870: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesm ... 250857.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJn ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1463639  by liftedjeep

pumpers wrote:Yes, I don't know if NJ Southern only built the Whiting to Birmingham Jct (just west of SOuth Pemberton), or if they built the whole piece all the way to Mt Holly and/or beyond. I saw it all explained somewhere once, but who knows where!

In 1834, the Camden & Amboy developed an interest to access Mount Holly. The Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad and Transportation Company was incorporated in 1848 to construct a line from Burlington (C&A) to Mount Holly. In 1863, the line was extended from Mount Holly to Pemberton. The name of the original railroad was changed by incorporation to the Burlington County Railroad Company in July of 1863. A branch from Ewansville to Vincentown was constructed in 1864. It was chartered in March of 1861 as the Vincentown Branch of the Burlington County Railroad Company.

What later became the mainline of the C&BC was incorporated as the Camden, Moorestown, Hainesport, and Mount Holly Horse Car Railroad Company in March of 1859. This company was to construct the line from Camden (Pavonia) to a connection with the Burlington-Mount Holly Branch east of the present station on Madison Avenue. Before the line was completed and placed in service in October of 1867, it was consolidated with the Burlington County Railroad Company to become the Camden and Burlington County Railroad Company.

The final segment of the C&BC was constructed in 1869 by the Mount Holly, Lumberton and Medford Railroad Company, which was incorporated in April of 1866.

The Camden and Burlington County Railway company was created in October of 1915 by consolidating the Camden and Burlington County Railroad Company, the Vincentown Branch of the Burlington Railroad Company, and the Mount Holly, Lumberton and Medford Railroad Company.

In 1925 the Burlington Branch was abandoned. Two years later the Vincentown Branch was abandoned. All but one mile of the Medford Branch was abandoned in 1976 after the formation of Conrail. The final mile was removed in 1981.

(Info researched from "The High Line" Vol. #13)
Ben
 #1463697  by CJPat

GSC
I believe the "pump house" building you are referring to, located at 148 Mills St. (south) Toms River, is/was owned by the South Toms River Sewage Authority. The structure was built between 1972 and 1986 long after the PRR came and went from that area. Before that, it was just empty land.

The station turned house on Halliard Ave, can be seen in the photo located at:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/63/8d/e3/638d ... 32e3a4.jpg
Disclosure - The photo belongs to John Dziobko and the url is off of pinterest.