Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1460213  by mrobinson

A casual follower of this forum for a number of years but never posted, just absorbed the banter and the information presented herein. My question is this: has there ever been a definitive roster of Metro North equipment compiled, with such items as exact build dates (not 1972-1976 or the like), real corresponding numbers, individual characteristics such as traction motors (MU) seating capacity, overall lengths/widths, in-service dates, OOS dates, details such as interior layouts, etc.? I searched this forum and found nothing definitive, rather references to vague material that contains conflicting information. I have a copy of the NHRHTA publication "Shoreliner", volume 13, issue 4 with an article that contains a rough roster but that seems to be the only "published" one put there.
In this vain, has anyone written a detailed article on the M2 Cosmopolitans? This equipment has been in service since 1973 (or there abouts?) and has been the backbone of the New Haven Line until the arrivals of the M8's. 45 years is a long time for such equipment and perhaps a good history is in order before they are all retired?

Thanks in advance for any help.