Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1497268  by 452 Card

1) "I can't believe I hit the Montauk on the first-day vacancy. Nobody picked it! Since I don't have the whiskers to own this job, I'm going to put a hold-down on it for the rest of the week. Some times the List works in strange ways!"

2) "Did you hear what Joe did to Bob? he's gonna regret it. The worm always turns!"

3) "I fall for the late Oyster Bay and get a Yellowbird and three Zips for the eastbound out of the Storage Yard. So much for controlled emergency stops tonight!"

And so on..............
 #1497337  by nyandw

452 Card wrote:1)"I fall for the late Oyster Bay and get a Yellowbird and three Zips for the eastbound out of the Storage Yard. So much for controlled emergency stops tonight!"
And so on..............
I'm always looking to add specific LIRR phrases as Dutch indicated prior that phrases were not only LIRR utilized. OK: Yellowbird?
Is this in reference to MTA yellow front nose on the C420s 1968+?

You added: "...And so on..." Please do so. Thank you.
 #1497601  by 452 Card

ALCO C420 units 222 through 229, before they were banished to freight. They had a timer connected to the brake pipe recharge valve that prevented instant recharging of brake pipe pressure after an emergency application. Also, the ride quality was like being on top of a giant slinky standing erect. They leaned a lot in curves.
 #1497692  by Kelly&Kelly

Montauk trains routed down the Atlantic Branch are said by block operators and dispatchers to be routed "On the Avenue" .
 #1497910  by ExCon90

The term "underjump" has been mentioned in other threads. They were called "duck-unders" on the PRR, but I never saw or heard "underjump" except on the LIRR.
 #1498015  by Kelly&Kelly

I've several times heard the older generation (those hired in the 40's and 50's) refer to the Montauk Branch as "the Southern Road".
 #1498412  by nyandw

Kelly&Kelly wrote:I've several times heard the older generation (those hired in the 40's and 50's) refer to the Montauk Branch as "the Southern Road".
Thanks, anyone else concur or elaborate?
 #1498474  by krispy

K&K is highly versed in such things, and I eagerly look forward to a book some time in the future. I can vouch for this, some of the old farts who taught me Hall mentioned this as well. Jay and Hall were so big as to merit levermen, and so portions of the interlocking board had letters painted on them to denote various routes that the train director would shout out to the leverman. One such route was "S to O", and it stood for Southern Road. A brief explanation followed about the various lines that were part of the LIRR, but I was brand new, bewildered by the mess of paint on the board, and having to learn this from some truly eccentric characters, so alas I can't recall the specifics.
 #1498502  by nyandw

krispy wrote:K&K is highly versed in such things, and I eagerly look forward to a book some time in the future. I can vouch for this, some of the old farts who taught me Hall mentioned this as well. Jay and Hall were so big as to merit levermen, and so portions of the interlocking board had letters painted on them to denote various routes that the train director would shout out to the leverman. One such route was "S to O", and it stood for Southern Road. A brief explanation followed about the various lines that were part of the LIRR, but I was brand new, bewildered by the mess of paint on the board, and having to learn this from some truly eccentric characters, so alas I can't recall the specifics.
Thanks to you both. I din't intend to indicate that K&K was inaccurate, but rather to have further insight. Always appreciate the new info.
I found this today based on your inputs. Great.
Last edited by nyandw on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.