Railroad Forums 

• Understanding 8ET Airbrake on 1944 Baldwin 4-8-4

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#1373824  by Airbrake Paul

I would like to know what the airbrake control beneath the engineers seat against the cab wall base wall is for... it connects the driver brake cylinder pipe to the tender brake cylinder pipe (and engine rear truck). It looks like a large angle cock and it appears to be some kind of porportioning valve. Please let me know or direct me to someone who knows. We are restoring the Baldwin 4-8-4 SF2926. I'm new to Forums.
 #1466989  by Engineer Spike

I had a series of small pocket sized airbrake books, which were found in a used bookstore. One was 6?, 8ET, and 24RL. They all explained the features of that brake schedule, as well as having fold out piping diagrams. Keep an eye, and you might find one too. They were published by one of the airbrake companies, either Wabco, or NY Airbrake.