Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1487247  by ryanov

I took one years ago, probably 2006. It was cheaper than the Amtrak-equipment alternatives. Still probably more expensive than a non-peak travel train.
 #1487350  by east point

You posters are behind the 8 ball. Checking reservations the expanded Amtrak thanksgiving schedule is already in place. 4extra regionals from WASH and 2 commuter rail equipment trains as well . Did not have time to check BOS or NYP - WASH
 #1487379  by CNJGeep

mtuandrew wrote:Has Amtrak ever used NJT or MARC Multilevels for Thanksgiving service? The 125mph-rated MARC units seem ideal, with a “panic box” cooler cafe set up somewhere.
The MARC IV Multilevels are no longer good for 125. The MARC III Kawasaki cars do not fit in the tunnels at New York.
 #1487381  by CNJGeep

MACTRAXX wrote:Each pair (and some of the A3 singles) had restrooms-which was a major factor.
The singles all lost their restrooms in the 1990s rebuild. This doesn't stop NJT from putting single cars on. The last few years have seen three married pairs and two single cars on at least one of the two sets.
MACTRAXX wrote:Amtrak has also
leased SEPTA P/P equipment primarily for either PHL-HAR or as standby - at least two of the cab
cars DO have a working restroom - that is kept locked and not available to the public.
They did not spare a set in 2017, and I don't remember them doing it in 2016 either.

As for restrooms, I can tell you with certitude that no cab car has a toilet. 2401 and 2408 don't even have the cabinet anymore, and the remainder only have a hand dryer and a sink (with no running water.) The last time those cars had toilets was when they went to Altoona, and they were installed and removed before and after the event, respectively. SEPTA does not have any facilities to drain toilet tanks.
 #1487405  by east point

Backshophoss wrote:The Thanksgiving 2018 schedules .pdf files are NOT yet available at this point in time! :(

But the direct booking are there in reservations. Do you need an example ? Commuter trains are listed !
 #1487423  by R36 Combine Coach

With the issues with NJT car availability and Arrows, could Silverliners be used in place? Lack of toilets might be the one key issue.
 #1487429  by daybeers

CNJGeep wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Has Amtrak ever used NJT or MARC Multilevels for Thanksgiving service? The 125mph-rated MARC units seem ideal, with a “panic box” cooler cafe set up somewhere.
The MARC IV Multilevels are no longer good for 125. The MARC III Kawasaki cars do not fit in the tunnels at New York.
When did they not become good for 125?
 #1487436  by east point

daybeers wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
Could that have been a result of the test train Amtrak ran what 6 months ago on various equipment qualifying 125 MPH operations ?
 #1487459  by MACTRAXX

CNJGeep wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Each pair (and some of the A3 singles) had restrooms-which was a major factor.
The singles all lost their restrooms in the 1990s rebuild. This doesn't stop NJT from putting single cars on. The last few years have seen three married pairs and two single cars on at least one of the two sets.
MACTRAXX wrote:Amtrak has also
leased SEPTA P/P equipment primarily for either PHL-HAR or as standby - at least two of the cab
cars DO have a working restroom - that is kept locked and not available to the public.
They did not spare a set in 2017, and I don't remember them doing it in 2016 either.

As for restrooms, I can tell you with certitude that no cab car has a toilet. 2401 and 2408 don't even have the cabinet anymore, and the remainder only have a hand dryer and a sink (with no running water.) The last time those cars had toilets was when they went to Altoona, and they were installed and removed before and after the event, respectively. SEPTA does not have any facilities to drain toilet tanks.
CNJ: Thanks for some update clarifications...The A3 singles (the odd numbers were the ones that
had restrooms am I correct?) had lavatories removed during their 1990s era overhaul.

I recall that in some recent years Amtrak has kept a SEPTA P/P train on standby at 30th Street
over the Thanksgiving holiday. 2015 or before probably as a "just in case" train to use only if it
is needed. I remember how it would be placed on the lower level - Track 10 (or 11 alongside)
or just sitting in Penn Coach Yard waiting for a call that if all went well would not come...

One of SEPTA's best-kept secrets were the two working toilets some years back - and no longer.
There was no point even having them in the cab cars if they could not take care of them. I recall
that the other cab cars had fixtures in states of disarray in the restroom and as noted were always
kept locked up and off limits to riders. My memories of those restrooms were primarily back from
the 1990s decade into the early 2000s when I lived in the area and rode regularly. MACTRAXX
 #1487507  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:CNJ: Thanks for some update clarifications...The A3 singles (the odd numbers were the ones that
had restrooms am I correct?) had lavatories removed during their 1990s era overhaul.
I know some Silverliner IIs had toilets, did any IVs have them?
 #1487542  by daybeers

east point wrote:
daybeers wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
Could that have been a result of the test train Amtrak ran what 6 months ago on various equipment qualifying 125 MPH operations ?
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.
 #1487589  by east point

daybeers wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.[/quote]

The point is that the test train(s) ran high speed ( 125 ) tests of various equipment of seveeral agencies. Maybe the lissted equipment failed ?
 #1487740  by STrRedWolf

dowlingm wrote:Bombardier MLV 125mph run https://youtu.be/kVpRgHQCOuA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did PTC change something, or MARC decided something was wearing out too quickly at that speed?
I doubt it, to be honest. Usually MARC makes sure it's spec'ed to run on the NEC no matter what. Any downgrade would of been Amtrak's fault. The only thing I can think of is that while it *can* hit 125 mph it usually *doesn't* because of all the stops it needs to make.