Railroad Forums 

• Last heavyweight car in regular intercity service?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1337395  by SouthernRailway

Out of curiosity:

Which intercity train in the US was the last to carry heavyweight passenger-carrying cars and when were those cars last used in regular service?

Did any regularly-scheduled intercity trains in the US carry heavyweight passenger-carrying cars at Amtrak's inception?

The following do not count:
* Excursion specials
* Commuter trains
* Baggage cars

Thanks!
 #1337411  by scottychaos

Here is a start: LIRR retired its last heavyweights, that were still in regular service, in 1968:

http://prrths.com/newprr_files/Hagley/PRR1968.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1337422  by bdawe

I believe that the Southern Pacific's Del Monte hauled the occasional Harriman Coach until fairly close to A-Day, though it is debatable whether the Del Monte counts for thread purposes, since it was something of a commuter train-intercity train hybrid by the 1960s. I'm also not sure if any of those Harrimans made it south of San Jose for those runs, or whether only the streamlined equipment was allowed to go further
 #1337601  by YamaOfParadise

Passenger wrote:What in this context is "heavyweight"?

Thank you.
Generally, railroad cars constructed almost completely out of steel, henceforth being really heavy; produced mostly in the 1910's and 1920's. It's a little easier to contrast them with the streamlined lightweight cars that started in the 30's, but mostly in the 50's. Those are made with stainless steel, aluminum, and other light materials.
 #1337733  by TomNelligan

Wouldn't the Pennsylvania RR's P70 coaches be considered heavyweights? The basic design dated to 1907, the newest ones were built in 1937, and some of the later vintage P70s could be found on Penn Central intercity trains right up to Amtrak.
 #1337734  by Literalman

I seem to remember (a long time ago) seeing a photo of a heavyweight passenger (not baggage) car in Amtrak colors: painted silver with red, white, and blue stripes.

If I did not just imagine this, the car might not have been in revenue service; it might have been some kind of utility car.
 #1337737  by NorthWest

It may have been a private car; Amtrak required them to be painted in their colors during the late 70's when memories of the rainbow era were still fresh.

I'm wondering if it was one of the 'betterment' cars rebuilt to streamliner standards, but those cars were usually some of the first to be retired when trains were dropped.
 #1337744  by ExCon90

TomNelligan wrote:Wouldn't the Pennsylvania RR's P70 coaches be considered heavyweights? The basic design dated to 1907, the newest ones were built in 1937, and some of the later vintage P70s could be found on Penn Central intercity trains right up to Amtrak.
I would say yes; they met all the criteria for heavyweights, including, I believe, the concrete floors.
 #1337756  by TomNelligan

Another example of heavyweight cars operating up to Amtrak Day (and slightly beyond, until equipment got sorted out) involved the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio RR. The GM&O had some heavyweight coaches and diner/lounges that were used through 5/1/71 on its Chicago-St. Louis runs, mixed with slightly more modern equipment.
 #1338260  by MACTRAXX

Andrew and Everyone:

The former DL&W MU cars were retired in August 1984 by NJT at the completion of the M&E re-electrification
project which introduced the A3 MU cars to this route - the voltage was changed from 3000 volts DC to 25KV AC...

I rode the old MU cars on their final day in service from Hoboken to Dover and return - there was a huge turnout of
fans on many of those runs and more then likely there are pictures and videos available...

The last IC 1926 MU cars were retired in 1979-80 when the RTA add-on order of 30 Highliners from Bombardier
were placed in service and the older CSS&SB MU fleet were retired beginning in 1982 when the Sumitomo MU
cars were delivered to eventually replace them...

I agree with the mention of the former PRR P70 cars - I recall that some were used on Amtrak NEC trains such as
NYP-PHL "Clockers" during the early to mid 70s and were replaced by the Amfleet cars...Some were used in a
variety of services like former PRR North Jersey Coast commuter trains and the two Chicago-Valparaiso, Indiana
trains which ran into the early Conrail era and were replaced when Amtrak began operating these runs in the late 70s...

One of the best P70 examples I can think of was the private car that the Jersey Shore Commuter Club once used
on a pair of North Jersey Coast weekday commuter trains right up into the middle 1980s - Was this car preserved
by URHS or some other rail enthusiast venue when it was retired by NJT? I remember that it was painted PRR
tuscan red with special keystone logos right up to its retirement...

MACTRAXX
 #1338356  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:One of the best P70 examples I can think of was the private car that the Jersey Shore Commuter Club once used
on a pair of North Jersey Coast weekday commuter trains right up into the middle 1980s - Was this car preserved
by URHS or some other rail enthusiast venue when it was retired by NJT? I remember that it was painted PRR
tuscan red with special keystone logos right up to its retirement.
This would have lasted to 1983. Another cars (lightweight stock, little details known) then served as the club car until Comet IIB club car 5759 (later 5459) was delivered in 1988.
 #1339668  by GWoodle

Literalman wrote:I seem to remember (a long time ago) seeing a photo of a heavyweight passenger (not baggage) car in Amtrak colors: painted silver with red, white, and blue stripes.

If I did not just imagine this, the car might not have been in revenue service; it might have been some kind of utility car.
You can have all kinds of MOW cars placed in service by the host RR then transferred to Amtrak MOW service. Not sure if Morning Sun had an all color book of Amtrak or PRR/PC equipment.

The heavyweight cars painted in Amtrak colors modeled by Model Power, Bachmann, & others depending on the scale tend to be pure fantasy.