Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1356774  by philipmartin

No. 4323, one of the Bay Head - Long Branch shuttles conked out at Manasquan this morning. I heard the DS talking to 4200, and I guess that was the rescue engine. They substituted a bus and held 3244, the Long Branch - New York train, about forty minutes at Long Branch for the bus.
I was in my ticket office at three PM when I heard the unmistakable sound of a Jeep on 2312. 4200 was head out, with about three cars, and 4219 on the hind end. I guess that's how they got 4323's equipment east.
 #1359648  by philipmartin

First trick on the Coast Line today, 2 Dec. 2015, not so great for the riders. 3236, Long Branch to New York, didn't make it past Red Bank. The Alp 4617 developed problems, and eventually a geep, 4202 came out of LB and hauled the train back there. The riders had to take the next train, an hour later.
MM90 came up from the MMC to get the basket case, 3236's equipment. He went by me heading west, at about 80mph, 4507 and a control car. What a thrill. Coming east with the disabled train, it was a different story. He stopped at Middletown for a few minutes with the control car, head out, on the Church St. crossing, while a crewman seemed to be looking at the coupling between the two motors, 4507 and 4617.
Later today, they couldn't get River, the bridge on Raritan Bay, closed for about an hour. 3243 went by me westbound at the time 3256, his equipment, was supposed to be heading east. 2312, a Bay Head to Hoboken train, with no stops between Woodbridge and Newark Airport, became a local, doing 3256's work.
 #1360335  by mohawkrailfan

Midtown Direct got diverted to Hoboken starting around 8 this morning, I think. Then they started going back to NYP, but another Morristown Line one apparently broke down and had to be towed? And then a Montclair one stopping at Newark only opened one door?
 #1364915  by philipmartin

It's that time of year again - Hudson River tunnels out of service, one at a time, while the Amtrak icicle squad demolishes the icicles: up to half hour delays, thank you.
 #1367779  by genesis11980

Has anyone seen any movement on the NJT system today? I'd have thought that despite the service suspension there would be some activity to keep the tracks clear. I live near the RVL and haven't seen anything all day. Admittedly, the ALP 45's are pretty quiet, but I think I'd have seen or heard something since I can see the tracks from my house.
 #1367790  by twropr

I heard on the Central Jersey scanner feed the M&E Train Dispr talking to an "Ice Train" around Broad St, Newark at about 7 pm.
Would be interested in hearing what that was.
Andy
 #1373575  by philipmartin

March 2, 2016, at 5:40am a westbound train lost power at Hazlet, on the North Jersey Coast Line, and was there for more than two hours until a diesel from Long Branch could come down and pick it up. It's double track, so with one track blocked at Hazlet, it was run both ways on the other track between Red Bank and Matawan. It turned rush hour into Comedy Central.
 #1378964  by philipmartin

3223 quit at Matawan this morning. Since its equipment makes 3236, we didn't get that train either. A few days ago an Amtrak train quit under the Hudson River, causing more delays.
This morning, I heard the Raritan Line dispatcher warn a couple of trains about trackwork in progress somewhere, and to make noise going in there. Are we increasing safety consciiousness account of Amtrak's Chester wreck last week?
 #1379513  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:3223 quit at Matawan this morning. Since its equipment makes 3236, we didn't get that train either. A few days ago an Amtrak train quit under the Hudson River, causing more delays.
This morning, I heard the Raritan Line dispatcher warn a couple of trains about trackwork in progress somewhere, and to make noise going in there. Are we increasing safety consciiousness account of Amtrak's Chester wreck last week?
Actually, there is nothing new about a dispatcher telling an engineer to make noise at a location where there may be people about.