Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1328508  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:3224 behaved like an Amtrak train this morning; broke down under the Hudson River, backed up to Secaucus and was taken out of service there.
The last speaker at last month's (March 2015) board meeting gave us a little more information about that day. He lives on the Pascack Valley, and this particular morning the PV was out of service, account a fire near the railroad, near Oradell. So he went to Ramsey Rt. 17, and caught a Bergen County Line train. So did a lot of othere people from the Pascack Valley. When they got to Secaucus, there were a lot of people on the platform who didn't know what to do. Transit gave them no information in any form, and to make it more enjoyable, 3224 had just broken down under the river, and reversed back to Secaucus, and discharged its passengers there.
 #1333393  by ACeInTheHole

4604 was really struggling this afternoon on 6627. It cut power out of short hills and stopped pulling the train twice, then when it finally did get going, it was very lethargic, srock you know what was wrong with it?
 #1334552  by philipmartin

An unfortunate man was killed on the NEC near metro Park at five o'clock this morning. That shut down the corridor between Trenton and Metro park for several hours, so none of the Trenton or Jersey Avenue trains could run. Some of the Coast Line rush hour trains, which normally run express on the NEC, had to do local work for them between Rahway and New York.
http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2 ... etrop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1334950  by philipmartin

Amtrak trains laid down in the Hudson River tunnels yesterday, (June 8) and again today, causing half hour delays to NJT trains. I don't know the causes, but if they can't make the grade, they should be diverted to Hoboken. It worked in the nineteenth Century, and it will work in the twenty first Century. That or couple on helper engines in Newark and New York.
 #1335000  by philipmartin

ACeInTheHole wrote:^Amtrak crews are not qualified into Hoboken, and thy already have the Hudson Protect stationed in Penn Station, and another rescue set in Harrison yard.
It's an attempt at humor. I'm not seriously suggesting terminating Amtrak trains in Hoboken, or putting helper engines on all of them.
I was also thinking of suggesting that they put chains with hooks on them in the tunnels to engage disabled trains, and pull them out of the tunnels. I wonder what your response to that would have been?
 #1335008  by nomis

#1335242  by philipmartin

Today, June 11, signal problems in Penn Station, New York, this morning. 45 minute delays. Midtown Direct (M&E) trains to Hoboken.
Listening to my am/fm radio this evening I'm hearing "one hour delays out of New York account a broken down train near New Brunswick."
That roller coaster above reminds me of Amtrak going through North Philly.
 #1335697  by philipmartin

Amtrak No. 648 quit under the Hudson River just now (6-15-15) with three Transit trains behind hm. A fourth, 3248', reversed for Secaucus.
Seems to me that the three could couple up to the Amtraker, compromise couplers and all if they are MUs, and shove him out. All right; that's a joke.
 #1337227  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:3326 lost half an hour this morning account hitting a tractor trailer at a crossing near Elberon, caving in the trailer. I haven't verified these "facts."
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20 ... s_pol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a stock photo. 3326 had an alp45 head out.
 #1340081  by philipmartin

Here's an NJT alert for July 16. "Trains in/out of New York Penn Station are subject to delays of up to 20 minutes, due to a disabled NJ Transit train in one of the Hudson River Tunnels." (Twenty minutes: that's all?)

Here are texts of two NJ Transit alerts, sent out today (July 20): "Please be advised there is currently a NJT train disabled in one of the Hudson River Tunnels. Update to follow."
And nine minutes later. "Update: Trains are now subject to delays of up to 60 minutes due to ongoing Amtrak overhead wire problems & disabled train in one of the tunnels."
 #1340314  by TrainPhotos

I keep hearing alerts being sent about alternate travel options on co-workers phones. What's going on? NJT site has no specific information readily visible...