Railroad Forums 

• Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley (CACV) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1449279  by johnpbarlow

At about 0430 this AM, I heard the NS Binghamton local K83 tell the NS yardmaster on the radio that it had picked up "two locomotives" (ie, he didn't say "2 ex-D&H Alco Switchers"! :wink: ) in addition to other NYS&W interchange for NS. I believe K83 was then headed back to the NS yard at Binghamton so perhaps tonight the local to Oneonta will go the extra miles to Cooperstown Junction and make the drop. We shall see...
 #1450030  by thebigham

CACV Facebook page:

Update on motive power move from Coop Jct to Milford Depot:

The move is scheduled for 11/11/17 in the morning specific time not definite as you all know how things go. Should be some activity from 9:00 AM @ the Jct. I will try to keep you updated on any changes Hope you can join us All the Best
 #1450255  by Kurt

Looked like a rough day for the Cooperstown and Charlotte Valley yesterday.
From the http://www.allotsego.com/
"The antique rail cars that line Route 7 near Colliersville broke loose and crossed onto the highway, bring state police to the scene. No further details were immediately available. Oneonta’s Bob Pondolfino was driving by and snapped this image."

http://www.allotsego.com/wp-content/upl ... ilcars.jpg

Also more images and video on Facebook from the Milford Fire and Emergency Squad
https://www.facebook.com/Milford-Fire-D ... 436867261/
 #1450304  by BR&P

The cars had some momentum. I'd say it's are darn lucky they derailed at the road crossing. If they had somehow stayed on, it appears the tracks don't end TOO far from the D&H / NS. Would have been chit around the moon if they had gone off the end and fouled the main. Image
 #1450306  by CPSmith

Noel Weaver wrote:Maybe vandals at play?
Noel Weaver
Don't think so. I'm guessing they were moving equipment in anticipation of an interchange move.

Bad situation indeed. From Google Maps, it appears the cars rolled away on the unused (west) leg of the wye (the crossing is paved over on both Google and Bing).

They had to be moving at a decent clip to plow through the blacktop and almost clear the crossing.

Given the age of the cars, it's entirely possible they were switching without air. So take your pick - inadequate or non-existent hand brakes, no chocks, no portable derail, no bumping post, etc.

I don't wish to speculate other than it's a significant safety issue.

BR&P's take on gravity is accurate. If you work for the railroad long enough ... let's just say we all have stories ...
 #1450307  by Noel Weaver

Its been a long time since I have been in these parts but I know the normal route used for interchange at Cooperstown Junction was the east leg of the wye. I think the west leg of the wye had not been used in a long time. I would suggest that these cars had been on that same west leg for a long time. Looks to me like it could have been a lot worse.
Noel Weaver
 #1450312  by BR&P

Noel Weaver wrote:Its been a long time since I have been in these parts but I know the normal route used for interchange at Cooperstown Junction was the east leg of the wye. I think the west leg of the wye had not been used in a long time. I would suggest that these cars had been on that same west leg for a long time. Looks to me like it could have been a lot worse.
Noel Weaver
I've never been there, but the aerial photos on line appear to show several cars on the east leg. There is talk here about a delivery of locos. One possibility is the cars were set from the east leg to the west leg in anticipation of that delivery, and you can fill in the rest.
CPSmith wrote: If you work for the railroad long enough ... let's just say we all have stories ...
Yup! Image
 #1450385  by DutchRailnut

you switch junk like that you know air even if hooked up is not dependable, general rule is use chains to secure the move.