Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Transit

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1282403  by philipmartin

Years ago I knew a guy who got a job running interurban cars between Allentown and Philadelphia after he got out of the Navy at the end of WWII. He had to run the cars full speed through fogged in crossings, so he quit.
Besides the photo of the interurban at its Allentown depot, here is one of a Texas City one of a kind. It must be an interurban because it has a cow catcher, but I can't tell if the rear wheels are flanged or rubber on that prototype doodlebug. Those are interurban cars in the background.
 #1282563  by ExCon90

I think you can just make out a flange on the inside of the nearer rear wheel. Was this line later acquired by the Missouri Pacific and actually operated a railbus rigged from a standard city motor bus (I think Twin Coach)? Went to Goose Creek?
 #1282588  by philipmartin

ExCon90 wrote:I think you can just make out a flange on the inside of the nearer rear wheel. Was this line later acquired by the Missouri Pacific and actually operated a railbus rigged from a standard city motor bus (I think Twin Coach)? Went to Goose Creek?
I think you are right about the flange. I'll bet those heavy interurban cars made better time.
It's nice that you may know the history of this line.
 #1282590  by bellstbarn

Perhaps three or four summers during the late 1940's, Dad brought me on a counter-clockwise trip from New York: either CNJ or Lehigh Valley to Bethlehem or Allentown. If Allentown, walk a considerable distance to the Liberty Bell's starting point, then ride it all the way to Upper Darby or Norristown. Return to NY from 30th Street on the Pennsy.
---
Several excellent books have been written about the LVT.
---
The photos and 8mm we took had lots of problems, as I had an unsteady hand.
---
On one memorable excursion, we rode the Easton Limited as it swayed through grass and weeds from Easton to Allentown, then took the Liberty Bell. We never rode the local lines in Allentown.
---
Yes, I was thrilled by the high speeds through farmland or on the side of the road. Dad claimed the better speeds were made once the pole was taken down in Norristown station and we hit the well-engineered trackage of the P & W. I am grateful that Dad brought me on these runs.
Joe
 #1282612  by philipmartin

bellstbarn wrote: I am grateful that Dad brought me on these runs.
I'm glad that I found and posted the Liberty Bell photo. It sounds as though you had a lot of fun.
 #1284297  by JimBoylan

The Texas City Terminal RR railbus seems to be at one of the carbarns of the Galveston - Houston Electric RR, which ran South from Houston past Texas City. The Missouri - Pacific interurban that later used St. Louis Car Co. modern rail buses was the Houston North Shore RR which ran out of town in the other direction to Goose Creek.