Railroad Forums 

• Former Consignees

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1336415  by tj48

Sir Ray wrote:I was out in Suffolk today, and checked around a bit while I was out there.

While we already knew it was time to stick a fork in the Amerigas location in Wyandanch 'cause its done, we can now officially take the leftovers out of the fridge and dump it in the trash - the property now sports those feared, distressing, and depressing signs which are far too common on Long Island: "Available: Metro Realty" (I can't blame Metro for anything - they are merely carrion-eaters who scavenge the remains of failed businesses). Signs must have been posted after tj48 visited, there is one on the office and a few on the fences. No problem, we know lots of other propane companies are lining up to serve Long Island customers and offer competition in the market place like Paraco...oops, no they brought out Amerigas to eliminate a competitor. Wonderful.

The former Amerigas facility still has its siding in place although some of the structures have been demolished. The yard now has quite a few semi trailers occupying it.
 #1337518  by mainline

Amerigas has been leaving Long Island.The former Amerigas facility in Wyandanch is owned by Island Container. Island container and Combined container are in the same facility in Wyandanch. Whether or not Island Container will get cars at the former Amerigas facility is unknown. Greg nice post on the scrap site. Was waiting for this one. When the east end garbage boys shipped out their waste on Elm's lead it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Remember the C&D from Roberto Clemente park has to be shipped out by the town. It would make sense to ship it out of the old Emjay Environmental site. Politics at its best.
 #1539159  by Teutobergerwald

Did NYA ever serve the LIPA/National Grid nee-LILCO facility in Huntington east of Park Ave by Lake Ave, that has a spur, or was that served only pre-1997 by the LIRR? Thanks.
 #1540486  by LINYARailfan

Another two consignees that are gone-
Island Container in Wyandanch. Gone since October 2017 due to downsizing and moving production facility to Deer Park.
And
New Hyde Park Oil Terminal in New Hyde Park. Gone since 2016 as a result of the NiMBYs ousting them out due to the 2016 mainline derailment involving a passenger and work train. He may still accept cars in Brookhaven Rail terminal?
 #1540573  by Sir Ray

I didn't realize New Hyde Park Oil had closed in 2016, though it was 2018 or later.

With that, are there any active freight customers remaining in Nassau County? I though the John St. yard in Hicksville was being used only for MOW and such.
 #1540596  by Pensyfan19

There is also an abandoned rail spur with three abandoned boxcars in New Hyde Park next to the Oil Terminal. Anyone know what will happen to these boxcars and if these spurs could be restored? There are also a lot of abandoned spurs in Brooklyn, especially along the Bushwick Branch and near Bay Ridge yard. Anyone know if these lines could be restored as well?
 #1540626  by Sir Ray

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 am There is also an abandoned rail spur with three abandoned boxcars in New Hyde Park next to the Oil Terminal. Anyone know what will happen to these boxcars and if these spurs could be restored?
This one we sort of discussed several years back. The siding east of the (erstwhile?) oil facility curved around NE and crossed Nassau Terminal Rd to service a plywood distributor named Chesler Plywood which would sporadically get boxcar loads of plywood in the 1990s, and maybe into the 2000s[?]. Apparently Chesler closed in the fall of 2017. The spur is still visible on Google Street, looking somewhat rough and partly paved over. It seems a medical oxygen business called VirtAir occupies part of the building now, and there is a tall vertical compressed air storage tank in the back of the yard. The two buildings south of Nassau terminal which the siding curves past, I never saw any freight cars there even in the late 1980s. The three (former ConRail boxcars IIRC- I recall seeing CR markings in the late 1980s before they were 'painted' over) were used for storage, but your guess is as good as mine as to their usage now. I am not certain how the 3rd track project has shaken things up back there, the Google Aerial still shows tank cars by the oil dealer's lead.
 #1540661  by LINYARailfan

Sir Ray wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:42 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 am There is also an abandoned rail spur with three abandoned boxcars in New Hyde Park next to the Oil Terminal. Anyone know what will happen to these boxcars and if these spurs could be restored?
This one we sort of discussed several years back. The siding east of the (erstwhile?) oil facility curved around NE and crossed Nassau Terminal Rd to service a plywood distributor named Chesler Plywood which would sporadically get boxcar loads of plywood in the 1990s, and maybe into the 2000s[?]. Apparently Chesler closed in the fall of 2017. The spur is still visible on Google Street, looking somewhat rough and partly paved over. It seems a medical oxygen business called VirtAir occupies part of the building now, and there is a tall vertical compressed air storage tank in the back of the yard. The two buildings south of Nassau terminal which the siding curves past, I never saw any freight cars there even in the late 1980s. The three (former ConRail boxcars IIRC- I recall seeing CR markings in the late 1980s before they were 'painted' over) were used for storage, but your guess is as good as mine as to their usage now. I am not certain how the 3rd track project has shaken things up back there, the Google Aerial still shows tank cars by the oil dealer's lead.
The google aerial view is not accurate. Yes the switch to the oil tankers lead is still intact but I have not seen a car on that spur in over a year. Yes the third track may have had something to do with the oil dealer being evicted...but the real reason is due to the 2016 Mainline derailment the NiMBYs of New Hyde Park and Garden City were in fear of a fire or disaster if that derailment had occurred approximately 950 feet west of the wreck site.