Railroad Forums 

• Milepost NY 308 at Pennellville, NY

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1262049  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

I'm looking to photograph milepost NY 308 this spring or summer on the O & W main at Pennellville. Anyone know of its exact location?

I'm also looking for information on an O & W bridge at Durhamville, NY located east of Canal St., between Fosters Corners Rd, and Foster St. Anyone know what type of bridge it is? I wasn't able to get a very good look at it through the trees, and it will be impossible to see once everyting comes into bloom. Normally, I would have walked back to so I could get a closer look and photograph it, but all the surrounding property appears to be posted. Something makes me think that it may be a concrete bridge, as all the steel bridges in the area have been removed to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks, 81
 #1262065  by RussNelson

This bridge? http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/158624406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? Doesn't exist anymore as far as I can see.
Or do you mean this bridge: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/158624407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? I haven't been able to get back there because I've only been there twice while bicycling the Erie Canal, and both times it's been too full of prickers.
 #1262074  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

It's the bridge in the 2nd link. I first spotted it a few years back during the winter and though it was just a culvert. I was able to get a better look at it through all of the trees this winter and it appears to be an actual bridge. I go by there almost daily, and would love to get a photo of it and examine it up close, but it seem s to be posted from all sides. Not sure I want the hassle. I'll see if I can zoom with my cam and snap a photo of it from the street next time I go by.
 #1262236  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Went by there again today, but could hardly see the bridge to photograph it from the road. There was no info on the sings, but they looked new as if they were put up recently. I'll try and sneak back there after everything comes into bloom with a fishing pole maybe. I've found that you're less likely to be hassled if people think they know what you're up to.