Railroad Forums 

• N&W Business car color scheme

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #1222706  by TCurtin

Back in 1968 I was on a fantrip that had an N&W heavyweight business car in the consist. i vaguely recall this car having a blue and yellow color scheme. Does that sound right? Where's there a photo of wat that would have looked like?
 #1222826  by Noel Weaver

Blue was used quite a bit on the former Wabash and after the N & W took over the Wabash and others I seem to think they used the blue for some locomotives and passenger cars for a period before the passenger cars went back to red and the locomotives generally to black.
Noel Weaver
 #1223309  by TCurtin

Charlie, The photo you posted may be the colors of the car I'm wondering about , I honestly do not remember the precise details. 45 years is a long time to carry colors in your head!!

If you keep old issues of Trains (or have the Trains magazine DVD set) look at pp 38-39 0f the March 69 isssue which has photos of the fantrip I'm talking about. The N&W Business car is the second car behind the locomotive (which is NKP 759. First car behind the locomotive is a baggage car). The photos are unfortunately all black & white shots and kind of dark.

Tom