Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1494137  by PlaneLoverA380

LIRR has released renderings of a 3-track Mineola.
Attachments:
A6B7A412-598C-4C07-9B27-7285DC322A5C.jpeg
A6B7A412-598C-4C07-9B27-7285DC322A5C.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 2639 times
 #1494235  by LB

I saw some work going on at Urban Ave, New Cassel in late November. Is that the first grade crossing to get eliminated?
 #1494264  by PlaneLoverA380

That is one of the crossings they were planning to eliminate. If the third track is being built from Hicksville west, then I would expect that one to be the first to go. Wonder if they’re going to keep that ped crossing at Mineola.
 #1494286  by MattAmity90

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:That is one of the crossings they were planning to eliminate. If the third track is being built from Hicksville west, then I would expect that one to be the first to go. Wonder if they’re going to keep that ped crossing at Mineola.
The project states that ALL grade crossings will either be eliminated or converted to dead ends, which means that both pedestrian and vehicular crossings. In fact, Urban Avenue is not the only one seeing activity, they are doing work at Covert Avenue. Those are the first two crossings that will be eliminated because Urban Avenue is the first crossing West of Hicksville, and Covert Avenue is the first crossing East of Floral Park.

Carle Place's EB platform had its Western half demolished (rear 6 cars of an EB train), and work has begun on the embankment as construction vehicles have installed corrugated columns to add Earth or a concrete wall. Bulldozers have been going over the area where the platform once existed to level out the soil to the same level as the tracks (and placement of the third track), and LIPA vehicles and LIRR workers have constructed new bundle-cable power lines South of the ROW. All along the ROW Jersey dividers with fencing have been placed on the South side of the ROW as well.
 #1494341  by Head-end View

I'm guessing the Mineola Main St. crossing will be eliminated by dead-ending that street on both sides; which is unfortunate in my opinion. And I predict it will be replaced by a pedestrian overpass that will serve both Main St. and the current ped crossing. :(
 #1494343  by PlaneLoverA380

Yeugh.... I’m shuddering thinking of that. On a *slightly* better note, at least it will be good for railfanning... if railfanning is ever worth it anymore. *sheds tear*
 #1494345  by Head-end View

Railfanning has existed for generations. When steam loco's were phased out people predicted no one would ever find those bland looking diesels interesting........... So I don't think we have to worry about any imminent demise of railfanning. LOL Only front-window viewing is on the way out unless you ride SEPTA Silverliner V's regularly, which regrettably I'm not able to.
 #1494350  by scopelliti

Head-end View wrote:I'm guessing the Mineola Main St. crossing will be eliminated by dead-ending that street on both sides; which is unfortunate in my opinion. And I predict it will be replaced by a pedestrian overpass that will serve both Main St. and the current ped crossing. :(
Yes I read that Main Street crossing will be eliminated by dead-ending on both sides. Not sure about the pedestrian bridge. Earlier there was a link to the LIRR project site. That info kind of moved around .. I would check http://lirrexpansion.com/ for more info.

Mineola Blvd will go under the tracks. Nassau Tower is toast :( Spent a lot of time in the 1960s railfanning right there...
 #1494376  by Norton

scopelliti wrote:
Mineola Blvd will go under the tracks.
Negative. The Mineola Blvd. bridge will remain more or less as is, with the tracks passing under the roadway.
 #1494407  by MattAmity90

What the turnout will be after the project is completed:

1.) Covert Avenue, New Hyde Park Road, Willis Avenue (Main Line), School Street, and Urban Avenue will be eliminated with the road going under the tracks.
2.) 12th Street, and Main Street will be closed and converted into dead ends.
3.) Reconfiguration of NASSAU Interlocking and DIVIDE Interlocking.
4.) What is currently Track 2 will be renamed Track 3 and be the express track. All local tracks are numbered the lowest.
5.) Replacement of Dunton Avenue, Nassau Boulevard, Glen Cove Road, and Cherry Lane bridges.
6.) The Willis Avenue grade crossing (Oyster Bay) will still exist, but it will be above a tunnel in which the traffic will go through.
7.) Pedestrian crossing will be converted into a pedestrian overpass.
8.) New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations will be lengthened from 10 to 12 car lengths.
9.) New Hyde Park station will be moved slightly further West.
10.) New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury will see their ADA accessibilities replaced and upgraded to improve it (elevators).
11.) All platforms will be rehabilitated with ASIMS.

I'm hoping that if unfortunately and just in case they can't save NASSAU tower, they move the structure to the triangular section where the Oyster Bay Branch diverts North from the Main Line.
 #1494421  by Head-end View

Matt, are you sure about the track numbering scheme in item #4? LIRR doesn't normally number tracks that way. At least not in the 4-track area. Normally the inside tracks are 1-2. And the outside tracks are 3-4. Are they going to have a separate numbering scheme just for the stretch from Floral Park to Hicksville? :(