Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1182862  by usroadman

Riding down NY-22 over the weekend I passed a stone house that sat right on the tracks that looked like it was an old station. It was between Westport and Willsboro, specifically about 1 mile south of what Google maps calls Whallonsburg. Does anyone know if this was once a station, and if so which station? A timetable I have from the 20s lists stops in Whallonsburg and Wadhams, so I assume it was one of those. The tracks go through the middle of Whallonsburg so it seems surprising the station would have been a mile south of town, but it's quite a bit north of what maps currently call Wadhams.
 #1189522  by Engineer Spike

Years ago I was set back as a conductor. I had an air hose come. apart at Merriam's. Since the broken brake pipe caused an emergency application, I had to inspect the train for derailed cars. We had been running ahead of 68, to clear at Wadhams. By the time I had finished the inspection, 68 was waiting behind us. I sent my train to clear, and 68 picked me up and dropped me off at my head end. the occupants of Merriam's came out to watch. They were impressed that this was the first train to call there since D&H had discontinued it.

One of the other engineer's father was an agent. He was assigned there. I'll have to be ask, but he may have been the first. It opened in the 1930s, I recall.