Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Coal Trains

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1539296  by QB 52.32

The unit coal and ethanol trains moving via the B&A to non-PAS customers preceded and are unrelated to the tunnel collapse. The unit wheat trains to a PAS customer were reroutes.
 #1539357  by NHV 669

Pretty sure every one of this latest batch of LCT's in the last handful of months has moved over the B&A, if I'm not mistaken; don't these new coal runs originate on CSX anyhow?
 #1539419  by PBMcGinnis

The current LCT are coming out of mine in West Virginia that is served by CSX.
CSX and Pam Am elected to move these via Worcester for this year.
This could change when the supply contract between the mine(s) and the utility company that owns the plant at Bow negotiate their 2021 contract.
 #1539500  by Rockingham Racer

NHV 669 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm Pretty sure every one of this latest batch of LCT's in the last handful of months has moved over the B&A, if I'm not mistaken; don't these new coal runs originate on CSX anyhow?
They are symboled N618 on CSX and originate in Newell, PA according to Railfan Wiki.
 #1539645  by fromway

If they come out of Newell on the old P&LE, where do they turn around and head East?
 #1539663  by 690

Ohio, then they run east over the old NYC.
 #1543596  by gokeefe

What coal mine is loading in Newell, PA? Is this anthracite???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1543614  by jaymac

gokeefe » Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am
What coal mine is loading in Newell, PA? Is this anthracite???
Google wan't in generous when it came to names of particular mine/s in Newell, but it could be that the mines are remote from the Newell yard where trains are assembled.
Newell is SSE of Pittsburgh and deep in bituminous country. Anthracite is further east, in and around Scranton.
 #1543636  by fromway

The Newell yard was a Pittsburgh & Lake Erie installation where loaded coal cars are brought and then assembled in the trains. They then head northward toward Pittsburgh and eventually to Ohio before they head east.
 #1592654  by NHV 669

Figured I'd post in the correct thread this time; another 77 car N619 passed North East, PA, a little over an hour ago.
 #1592655  by GTIKING

After the sale it will be great seeing these N619s roll right up to Bow.
No more Pan Am BS. Maybe Billerica is avoiding sinking one of the big bridges out there :P
 #1592672  by newpylong

Again, it depends on what the customer wants. Bow is considered a peak generating facility, they may not want a full train's worth of coal sitting there.